• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shooter545
    Warrior
    • Aug 2012

New 20" Rifle

Recently had a chance to snag a AA 20" upper from a member here. Thanks Hawk Pilot, great guy by the way!

I put it on a Black Rain Ordnance lower with MagPul PRS and a Geissele trigger. Scope is a L&S 6.5X20 in a LT mount. Bipod is a Harris.

Primary use will be long range competitions. I'm using a .260 Rem right now but have always wanted to play with the 6.5G.

I have everything to start reloading for it but the dies which will be here next week while I'm travleing for work. Concept of the operation is to get it all set and running to be able to shoot a local club tactical precision rifle match next month.

I have read a lot here on the forum and am looking forward to playing with this caliber as I'm a big fan of the 6.5 bullets in my .260s.

More to follow.

6.5G 20 inch.jpg
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Welcome to the hoard…nice looking rig. Best of luck to you in your competitions.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Welcome. I also have a .260 Rem gas gun that is a laser, but is much heavier than the Grendel. I can shoot positions much better with the AR15 than the AR10, and recoil is significantly less. The .260 Rem is much faster velocity-wise of course, but I enjoy shooting my Grendel more and more nowadays. Sucks up a lot less powder too.

Do you have a 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook?

Comment

Good looking rifle, it should serve you well. Welcome.

Comment

You will like the Grendel. Most accurate caliber I have ever had.

Comment

• shooter545
            Warrior
            • Aug 2012

Lee dies came in on Sat(it was what Brownells had in stock. I have a set of Redding dies that will be home when I get back on Sat.). I looked over the data that I found here and on Sniper's Hide and picked two loads that I thought would work. Loaded up 25 rounds each and managed to slip out to the range on Sun afternoon.

Picture below is the results at 200. When I got home I changed the trigger out to an AR Gold as I feel it will give me a little better control of the trigger at longer ranges. I love Bill's triggers and have several of them but just feel that the AR Gold will give me a little more. I also need to do some load development on the 1000 Lapua 108gr bullets that I have on hand. Not a bad day but I think that it will get better. Right it is not better that the .260 but it's not that far off either. More work to be done.

More to follow.

06092013 6.5G.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X