Upper Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Build

I am looking to build a Grendel upper since I can't find 1 available. I was able to locate a Double Star 1/9 20" SS bull barrel with bolt for $350. Is this a good start or pass on this barrel? I wanted a SS heavy barrel 20" but the bull barrel would work also. Any other options available in stock?
    Thanks, Ken
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2013, 12:18 AM.

I would jump on that, just because it's available.

Comment

Double Star barrels are made by E R Shaw. You can google them. Should be a good barrel and with a bolt, I would get it. Plenty of positive things to say about the accuracy of their barrels over at AR15 forum.

Comment

This upper was for target with some hunting. I will see if I can find a heavy barrel, if not I'll go with the bull barrel, worst case I lug it for a few hours in the woods.

Thanks, Ken

Comment

you could have it turned down to the weight you are wanting for probably 50-75 bucks

Comment

I ordered the barrel, got the last one. Now to find all the other parts.
            Ken

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

You did good to find the J&T/Double Star barrel. Most are good shooters and I really like my Chrome moly J&T Distributing 16" 6.5 Grendel upper. A friend is patiently waiting on a 20" SS bull barrel rifle kit from J&T Dist..

Comment

I had a kit on order with J&T but canceled when NY enacted the "SAFE" laws. Sold almost all my "assault" rifles. I still want the Grendel.
                So I'm back at square 1 again. I ordered the J&T 20" bull barrel with bolt plus upper receiver, bolt carrier and some other parts. I still need free floating handguards and a few small parts. This will all go on a DPMS SS receiver with a Geiselle NM trigger.

Ken

Comment

You did right buying the barrel, the way the market is right now, if you can get one jump on it. And $350 sounds very reasonable for barrel and bolt. Now you just need to keep you eyes open for the remaining parts. Good luck.

Comment

Just got UPS tracking for the barrel I ordered 4 hours ago, that is fast shipping!

Comment

Barrel with bolt arrived today. Now the wait for the rest of the part to build the upper.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Be sure to post a range report and pictures of your build!

Comment

Working...
                        X