• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PushPuller
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2024

Barrel selection for a Grendel novice

Good morning yall!

I’m a short time browser, and first time poster that would greatly appreciate some brutally honest feedback.

I am finally getting into 6.5 Grendel after having the hots for it for a decade, and am building an upper for a lonely lower I have.

However, Iv been looking into barrels and reviews till I’m blue in the face and just can’t seem to make a decision on a 18” mid tier/budget barrel ($250-$350), or even find much feedback on a couple.

The barrels that I’m eyeing the most in no particular order are Odin, Satern, Rexus (apprehensively), Wilson Combat, and Brownells.

I would prefer to stay away from Faxon and BA since Iv had spotty luck with their 5.56 barrels in the past, but am not quite eliminating the option yet.

The Brownells intrigues me since Iv read that they are actually Satern barrels, but an answered question on their sight claims they are Faxon.

So! If you planned to mostly poke holes in paper, but occasionally a white tail, and for less than $400, which direction is most likely going to be the least headache?

I understand that my budget does put a bit of cap on high performance, and for now that’s fine as I’m getting my feet wet with the cartridge as a whole, but as long as I can realistically achieve 1 MOA or better with reloads I’d be tickled pink.
    Last edited by PushPuller; 08-07-2024, 03:19 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

In my opinion Wilson Combat have a better reputation than Odin or Satern/Liberty. Satern cut rifled barrels get good reviews but they are not mass produced and more expensive. If I wanted a cheaper barrel I’d buy another barrel from BFT/Rexus. I have two previous group buy barrels built to BFT (Site Administrator) specs and one 12” Green Mountain barrel manufactured to John’s specification. I shoot at my house or on Friend’s property so I have no range fees and I reload.

If you factor in ammo cost and other associated cost it is cheaper to buy a quality barrel and not get a cheap lemon.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Here’s how I break down barrel price point/value/performance for 6.5 Grendel barrels:

Bartleins and Kriegers cut by Precision Firearms. You’ll be in the $675-$775 range depending on what you order and options.

Proof Research carbon-wrapped Bartlein in the $900-$1000 region.

Lilja turned and chambered by Precision Firearms for $675

JP Enterprises for $529 (included enhanced bolt)

Satern Cut-Rifled 6.5 Grendel $523

LaRue (complete uppers and rifles) $800-$2100

Shilen heavy match 20” for $510

Lilja drop-in barrels from Lilja $525-$665, or the industry sub forum here $435

Criterion cut by Precision Firearms for $345 (this is one of the best bangs for your money)

Alexander Arms $285-$330 fluted (another great deal)

Odin Works 20” $323

Wilson Combat $250-$305

Faxon $235-$319

SixFive Outfitters $150-$200

I have owned and/or tested samples of all of the above except for Wilson, Odin, and maybe Shilen. I might have built or Cerakoted a 20” Shilen once, can’t recall now. I have shot Wilson Combat .223 AR-15s before, and thought they were pretty much top of the line in the early 2000s. I modeled my build approach for ARs from the early 2000s off of Wilson in terms of fit/feel of the receivers, lighter weight/medium fluted barrels, and coatings with free-float of course.

The most accurate, precision bolt gun-level bug-hole shooting uppers and barrels in Grendel I have shot and tested have been Bartlein from Precision Firearms. We’re talking beyond giggle, into “nobody is going to believe me if I show them these groups” type accuracy.

Proof is great for a really lightweight rifle if you go the CF route, and they shoot extremely well too.

I have 22”, 17.6”, and 16.5” Lilja Grendels. The 22” is bull, heavy, fluted. The 17.6” and 16” are really lightweight Wasp profile barrels with .650” thin under the handguard, then step up to .750/.740” like an M16A2.

The 17.6” shoots 4rd groups into bug holes, 5rd into .75” to 1”, and 10rd groups into 1.2”-1.5”. I have shot 8” groups at 1000yds with it, recorded and witnessed.

The 16” Lilja shoots .5” with match ammo, .75” with PPU 120gr, and .8” with 123gr SST.

I built a lot of 16” and 18” fluted Alexander Arms uppers for people several years ago, and they were all shooters, very pleasant-handling even being so light. They shot .6” to .9” with different Hornady ammo, including 123gr A-MAX, 123gr SST.

My complete LaRue Stealth 6.5 Grendel 18” FDE limited run rifle shoots great as well. The barrel is more of a heavy/medium contour and the rifle is fit superbly-well, with lots of attention to detail you have to hold and feel to appreciate. Wish he still offered that. The handguard mate-up to the upper receiver doesn’t touch the barrel nut at all, and the action is super slick. Funnel mag well and billet receiver fit is really tight, and the furniture is really nice.

I have a 12” build and did another one using the same barrel from Faxon through the forum group buy. Both of these 12” Grendels shoot anywhere from .7” to 1” at 100yds with multiple factory and hand loads, including 123gr ELD-M, 90gr TNT from Federal, and 107gr SMK on 8208 XBR. The only load that shot outside of 1” for me so far was the Federal 120gr Open Tipped Match American Eagle, but I have still used that to shoot steel buffalo at 800yds 9/10 hits.

Just off the top of my head, if money isn’t a concern, the 20” Proof is nice for both accuracy and lightweight.

For no-BS super accuracy, the Precision Firearms Bartlein, Krieger, and Lilja options are bragging rights shooters.

JP Enterprises makes a light contour, heavy fore end barrel that can have the ventilator fins attached to it.

For mid-grade performance and price, the AA and PF Criterion are great, along with LaRue.

For economy price but quality and correct dimensions in critical areas, Faxon and SixFive Outfitters can’t be beat.

Avoid things that are lower than that unless it’s a special sale from one of the others I mentioned. There are a few companies I have bad experiences with that I didn’t list or mention.

It’s hard to go wrong with anything in the above list, as long as your accuracy expectations align with the price point.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I have a lilja from their site, when they were $475, best $$ I've spent for a gas gun.
        I also recently got a Rainier 18", their standard line, for ~260. I'd look at them or their match line which is $400.
        For "regular" guys, you can't beat the lilja, or as a second choice, the rainier.
        For budget but still decent, as above, I agree with them.
        I favor the 18 or 20" lengths, they give you a bit more distance-room, 16's are ok too but I like that just-a-bit more, only ~4 oz extra weight so manageable. But I don't do a lot of "walking around" hunting any more, mostly find a good place for a stand.

Barrel, trigger, optics -- put your money in these for a good shooter. You save on ammo costs over the medium-long run.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Hansel&Grendel
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2017

I have an end user whom I've done a lot of work for. He really wants a 6.5 Grendel shorty (11" - 12" barrel, pistol braced with a Law Tac folding stock adapter). He doesn't particularly want to break the bank. Is the Faxon 12" 6.5 Grendel no longer in production? It's not on their website any longer. I haven't been able to receive a response from them.
          Anyone have experience with the Alexander Arms 11.5" SS 6.5G barrel? Can't receive a response from them either if it's in-stock.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

12" faxon....... go here.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Pull,

Why plan for mediocre performance? As far as precision rifles go, the barrel is everything - it is the gun.

The difference between a mediocre barrel and a top-performer is only a couple of hundred dollars. That's nothing relative to the total cost of the gun. A week later you won't even notice it.

Comment

• Hansel&Grendel
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2017

True, Klem. I have 2 Criterion barrels that I am quite happy with, one is an SBR Form 1. Both are superb accurate shooters. The intent here is a pistol braced 6.5G shorty for CQB and acceptable accuracy beyond. I've built several ARs, including for LE, using Faxon SOCOM 5.56 barrels; accuracy has been MOA/sub-MOA. While not the Lamborghini of barrels, the Faxon 6.5G fits the end user's specified criteria for hunting and self-defense, especially with the quality build parts lineup that I use for precision fitment, etc.

As mentioned, I'm also looking into the Alexander Arms 11.5 SS 6.5G barrel.

I recall LRRPF52 using a Faxon 12" 6.5G for a build through a group barrel purchase. He was quite pleased with the results as I recall. With PSA partnering with Hornady for the AAC Sabre Blade Black Tip 6.5 Grendel Ammo 123 Grain at $.75 a round, the Grendel becomes more viable in an AR platform to capitalize on its many stellar cartridge properties.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Hansel,

That's good mate, but getting back to the OP's question. Why are you gambling with accuracy potential? I mean, isn't that what it's all about? And for what - saving $250?

Comment

• Hansel&Grendel
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2017

Klem, I agree with you but I presented the end user with options and the decision is his. It's what I have to work with.

Comment

Working...
                    X