• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericv
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

Plastic lowers

Has anyone actually tried one of these?

New Frontier Armory is Las Vegas, Nevada's premier gun store. We are Veteran owned and operated, specializing in manufacturing of AR's

Looks interesting for a lightweight build.

I know Glock took a lot of flack when they came out with the dreaded plastic gun and look where they are now.

Eric
    Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
    www.rockhollowtactical.com

Glocks and the like Poly Pistols have a steel subframe/liner.. The Frontier and Plum Crazy are all plastic..
    Seen too many cracked Plum Crazy Lowers to rely on one myself ..

Comment

"Smoke"
      Seen too many cracked Plum Crazy Lowers to rely on one myself ..
      Anything specific as to how they cracked, or what action occurred to cause the breakage?

As I have stated before, my Plum Crazy lower has almost 3,000 rounds on it, under normal usage conditions. I don't use my AR as crowbar, a bridge for walking across water, a walking stick , or any other activity that may induce unnatural lateral stress. I have had to centrifugally clear my rifle a time or two, if it were going to break that would have been the time for it.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

I just put together two of the New Frontier ones. After a while check back with me. I am sure they won't be just for decoration.

Comment

Where I work we do plastic injecting molding and while I own Glocks I haven’t jumped on these lowers.
          A buddy of mine has one and it seems pretty OK but we’re in Florida and remember plastics don’t do well in cold and/or dry areas that’s when they tend to crack and break. So while they might be OK for me here I thought about using one of the New Frontier ones on a 5.56 carbine build to save some money and weight but went with the standard aluminum route.
          I’m still thinking about one for a 22lr build, but I wouldn’t do a Grendel on one.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by grin&dull View Post
            Where I work we do plastic injecting molding and while I own Glocks I haven’t jumped on these lowers.
            A buddy of mine has one and it seems pretty OK but we’re in Florida and remember plastics don’t do well in cold and/or dry areas that’s when they tend to crack and break. So while they might be OK for me here I thought about using one of the New Frontier ones on a 5.56 carbine build to save some money and weight but went with the standard aluminum route.
            I’m still thinking about one for a 22lr build, but I wouldn’t do a Grendel on one.
            For those intrepid (or foolish) enough to give it a go...is there something one could do to retain moisture in the plastic?

Comment

The Corbon 15 receivers hold up well from what I've seen, but if you run them high-volume, the upper will start to weaken, and the barrel will droop.

Comment

• ericv
                Warrior
                • Oct 2011

One area of concern that I thought of is how the holes for the pins would wear. I know they don't turn like a shaft on a machine but if they take repeated stress could the begin to become oblong. No idea, just a thought.
                Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
                www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

I personally dont trust them. Have no basis for my opinion but in my head, plastic = low quality.

Obviously that is not always the case as there are lots of quality polymer pistols out there. But something just doesnt seem right about a plastic AR....

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

"I personally dont trust them. Have no basis for my opinion but in my head, plastic = low quality.

Obviously that is not always the case as there are lots of quality polymer pistols out there. But something just doesnt seem right about a plastic AR..."

This is what was said about the M-16 when it was adopted by the military.
                    Last edited by montana; 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by montana View Post

This is what was said about the M-16 when it was adopted by the military.
                      Ha ha and we see where that piece of junk is now

Comment

These may work for a cheap weekend plinker or a starter AR for the kids, but I wouldn't count on it to be durable and hold up over heavy use and abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                          "Smoke"

Anything specific as to how they cracked, or what action occurred to cause the breakage?

As I have stated before, my Plum Crazy lower has almost 3,000 rounds on it, under normal usage conditions. I don't use my AR as crowbar, a bridge for walking across water, a walking stick , or any other activity that may induce unnatural lateral stress. I have had to centrifugally clear my rifle a time or two, if it were going to break that would have been the time for it.
                          Most were cracked at the rear pin hole ..Some at the top and some all the way to the pistol grip..
                          A quick search on the net will find pics of the damages .. Some were dropped .. (accidents do happen) some claim just shutting the top too fast caused the pin hole cracking .. I don't buy that one myself ..just seems like there was something else done to cause it ..

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X