Single or Two-Stage Trigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single or Two-Stage Trigger?

Just spent the last hour or two going through threads with trigger recommendations. For me it seems to boil down to the Geissele Two Stage or the JP Single Stage.

I understand a good Single Stage trigger, put your finger on the trigger and squeeze until it lets off. Now I've never had a Two-Stage but my understanding of it's function is a little bit of take-up on the first stage to a solid stop and let off in the second stage.

Is there an advantage of one over the other? Recommendations?

My primary purpose is deer hunting but I'll burn tons more ammo off the bench than I will in the woods.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 10:46 PM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

For accuracy and paper shooting, I prefer a 2 stage, and there is none better than the Geissele.

For everything else, I prefer a single stage, and I REALLY like the AA single stage tactical. The JP's are great triggers, too, but I actually found I prefer the AA. (They are very similar, however.) Someone I respect very much has looked at mine and compared it with a JP and said that they are very close in geometry as well. I've never pulled a JP apart, so I can't personally confirm that, but they do have a very similar feel.

To top that off, the AA triggers are about $50 less expensive.
    Last edited by bwaites; 08-27-2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

It's more of a personal preference thing than anything else if you have a nice one of either you will not be disappointed a lot of time the two stage will be a little lighter while still remaining safe because of the longer pull I actually really like a nice 2 stage with about a half pound take up and a 3-4 pound break second stage I have felt great and awful triggers in both, I usually just stone the stock triggers in my ARs but I have been meaning to try the AR gold trigger just haven't built a lower in a while and haven't gotten the itch to drop 250 on one
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Michael
        Warrior
        • Jan 2012

I have an AA single stage in my Grendel and a two stage comp Bushmaster in my varmint gun and I am planning on replacing it with an AA trigger. I have shot the Geissele and it is superior to the Bushmaster...BUT...for deer hunting, even knowing I would be shooting more paper than deer, I would NOT want a two stage trigger, unless I was harvesting deer at long range in open terrain. My .02.
        I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
        - Voltaire

Comment

I have shot the Timney single stage, very nice and super easy to install (completely self contained), but all I do is shoot at paper and animals. Very similar to my bolt action rifle in feel.

Comment

I've got a JP single stage and five Geisseles and one Timney and in no way do the single stage triggers even come near the quality of a Geissele. Hands down, the Geissele is a better trigger.
            Earlier this month I shot the National Trophy Infantry Team Match which is a six man team event fired at 600 yards on eight Echo targets, a humanoid belt to head silhouette, 50 seconds for as many hits as you can get from the prone position, move in mass to the five hundred yard line and repeat, then move to the 300 yard line and fire from the sitting position again 50 seconds as many shots as you can but on the foxtrot target, nipples to head. The six man team has 384 rounds to fire and they better get them all off and not have to shoot any at 200 yards to be competitive, so you are really hammering the trigger.
            With my Geissele I made 100% hits on my assigned targets and when a team mate had a gun malfunction was able to square that target as well. There is no way I would even think about a single stage trigger for this event.
            Single stage triggers seem to do well on three gun type events, or prone mid range slow fire, but when the range gets long and time is critical, a two stage is the way to go.
            Bob
            Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2012, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

If you go with a single-stage, the Wilson TTU is very good for a drop-in unit.

I often use the Mega trigger, but it's not a simple drop-in, and requires some adjustments.

I gave an honest try with a two-stage Geissele, but it just didn't do it for me. YMMV.
              Drifter

Comment

• michaelmew

Like Jurassic said, the Timney is a drop-in unit, no messing with springs or anything else (excet the 2 pins to hold it in). I have a Geissele 2 stage and a Rock River 2 stage. I believe the Geissele is better, but I don't know how to quantify that. And, frankly, I think my lack of ability is way more relevant than the trigger. But, I will say that I prefer 2 stage.

If you are that curious, you could probably buy one, try it out and sell it used on here if you didn't like it. I speculate that it would hold most of it's value well.

-mm

Comment

• Sojorboy
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

Check out Bill @ www.triggerwork.net if you're thinking about a single stage
                  I sent him 3 of my AR triggers and am well pleased with his work

Comment

Working...
                  X