• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Torque Drivers and scope rings

I took my newly built Grendel out for it's second range session. She had grouped a couple of inches two weeks ago with Wolf MPT. I was packing some factory Amax today, hoping to shrink that a bit. I warmed up with some more MPT and things were looking good. Switching to the Hornady my groups got larger and larger until I wasn't even printing on my 12x12 inch target.

I suspected my scope had slipped, I pulled out the ole hex wrench and found two of the four ring screws had loosen. I don't own a torque driver so my initial install was just a guestimate of what 30 inch-pounds would feel like. I did use blue Locktite.

Thoughts from the Horde appreciated. Do I need a driver or was I just being a little cautious last time around? I have horrible visions of stripping the threads or crushing the tube.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

If its just the little 4" long torx driver then you can crank down not them preety good. From my experiance you'll twist the driver waaaaayyyyy before you strip the screw or crush the tube.

Comment

I'd spring for some form of repeatable tool-close as you think you are to proper torque spec, you really can't judge same with certainty. I really like my Borka set, but there are other choices. That said, I'd be more concerned with over torquing the internals and damaging a scope without certain knowledge of setting.

Comment

I've not had a problem tightening scope screws down by feel but I pay a lot attention to try and tightening all screws with the same amount of pressure. I've had a couple complaints of over-tightening because they had a hard time loosening the screw. Isn't that the objective? What I think is more critical is using the proper screw driver(especially with a plain head screw) and having the firearm secured in order to get a good feel for how much torque your applying. Doing it on the bench at the range is not ideal.

Granted, I do it by feel and technically I'm guessing but I haven't had a problem. That said, I've consider buying a torque screw driver to take the guess work out but it's not on the top of my list of things to get. Maybe I'll get one for Xmas.

Comment

• wheelguner
          Warrior
          • Oct 2011

I like my Borka tool set as well. It lives in the case I use for my Grendel.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Start with a quality mount.

Be sure to degrease screws and threads before using a dab of blue loctite. Otherwise, it's wasted effort.

I use a Fat wrench on ring screws. Not a high-end torque driver, so inch-pounds might not be exact, but I believe that it's consistent. Increase the torque a little at the time, and go to each screw at each setting.
            Drifter

Comment

Working...
            X