• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Another guys first build.

As I said in my introduction, I'm really more of a handgun than rifle guy. I've had a piece of crap Mini in the closest for years (because everyone should have a high capacity, semi-auto centerfire carbine on hand) and about three years ago I bought my first AR; a Bushmaster. But I'd been lerking on the Grendel Forum for a long time and knew someday I'd have one. The First Annual NW shoot at Rattlesnake Mountain set the hook. Thanks to Bill B. and Bill A. for that hospitality. In case it matters, the event added at least one member to the Horde.

First decision; to buy or build. While I'm not totally mechanically inept, I don't do things like rebuilding transmissions or balancing engines. A lot of time watching Youtube videos (thank you AccuracySpeaks!) led me to believe building an AR was totally within my capabilities. I ordered a few key tools and started picking out parts. The forum knows that AR parts have been hard to find lately. I quickly quit looking for deals and spent what I had to when the parts I wanted were in stock somewhere.

The primary use will be as a hunting and general purpose rifle. This decision set the parameters of the build. No need for a match barrel or high-end optics. Light is nice. At least initially, my Bushmaster 5.56 lower would serve for the Grendel, though I knew I wanted a better trigger. So primarily, I was looking to build an upper and the barrel seemed to be the best place to start. Eventually I found and bought a used Sabre Defence double-fluted 18 incher from forum member grendeljunky. I loved the idea of the fluting and my impression was that Sabre barrels shot well enough. The 1 in 7.75 twist wouldn't hurt.

The build went well with no issues. I didn't count on having to dimple the barrel for the gas block, but I bought a jig and the job was simple enough. When done, the upper came in at 5 lbs, 6 5/8 ounces with scope. Add the Bushmaster lower and you have a 8 pound package. I weighed each part before assembly. Here's the parts list:

Sabre Defence 18" button barrel 2lbs, 1oz
    Troy low profile gas block 1 3/8 oz
    AA upper 8 3/8 oz
    AA A2 flash hider 2 1/8 oz
    Bushmaster "semi-auto" BCG 10 7/8 oz w/bolt
    MI Gen 2 SS 12" handguard 9 3/4 0z w/barrel nut
    Vortex 2-7X32 1 inch with BDC reticle 10 oz
    Vortex rings 6 oz

Additionally, I put an AA Tactical Trigger and Tango down grip on the lower (not in pictures). Photos can be seen here. Will the gun function or explode? Will it hold a group? Range report to follow.

Paul
    Last edited by biodsl; 07-05-2012, 12:42 AM.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Congrats, and I hope she shoots well for you!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Welcome and nice build. I'm interested to see how she groups for you. Those MI Gen 2 SS handguards are light, aren't they.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Welcome and nice build. I'm interested to see how she groups for you. Those MI Gen 2 SS handguards are light, aren't they.
        They are. 8 1/8 oz with out the nut. And I love the 1.5 inch diameter.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
        X