Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seatleroadwr

PTG Unithroating Reamer

Have any of you guys used the PTG Unithroating reamer? My 264 CSS barrel has a very short throat and the bullets engage the rifling beween .003 and .007 (depending on the bullet) before they reach maximum magazine length. The barrel is very accurate howerver my loads are very compressed. I saw the unithroating reamer on PTG's web site and thought that this might be a way to custom cut the throat of the barrel for an optimum COAL.
  • wheelguner
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

I would pose that question to the folks at PTG. They have always seemed glad to answer all of my questions and have done so with courtesy and good humor.

Comment

• DHumbarger

You really don't need a uni-throating reamer. Use a standard 6.5mm throating reamer & your good to go. If the uni-throater were best the bench rest crowd would be useing it instead of a standard 6.5 throater.

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Here is a link to an article on the UniThroater from the Riflemans Journal: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...o-chamber.html

Comment

PTG does make a T-Handle manual throating reamer kit for about $100 plus shipping...Works well, use it for my 6.5mm AR-15 barrels
          to get them to the max. COL loads near the 2.300" range for my wildcat chamber...

Comment

• seatleroadwr

Originally posted by Luv269er View Post
            PTG does make a T-Handle manual throating reamer kit for about $100 plus shipping...Works well, use it for my 6.5mm AR-15 barrels
            to get them to the max. COL loads near the 2.300" range for my wildcat chamber...
            Can you tell me what diameter that reamer cuts the throat to?

Comment

Originally posted by seatleroadwr View Post
              Can you tell me what diameter that reamer cuts the throat to?
              .264"

Comment

• DHumbarger

The length of the throat that is re-cut is controled by the man doing the reaming. Recutting an existing throat should be done ONLY in a lathe.
                IMO.

Comment

• seatleroadwr

I bought a PTG Uni-throat reamer and used it today. It worked very well. PTG made a custom chamber bushing to use to keep the rear of the reamer aligned with the chamber. It is easy to adjust and not a lot of money. Below are a couple of photos of the reamer. I moved the throat forward .07". Nosler 123 grain bullets now engage the lands with a COL of 2.2580.

Comment

Working...
                  X