Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WildBill3/75

My 6.5Grendel build in progress.

Pics of some of the parts that have come in in the last few days.

Parts with a * havn't been ordered yet.
    Upper- Mega Arms Monolithicrifle length single rail
    Lower- Seekins Precision billet lower(not here yet)
    Barrel- 20" Fluted SS bull barrel 1:9 twist from Lothar Walther(should be here in 2 months)
    Bolt Carrier is from Bravo Company
    Stock Magpul PRS
    Grip Magpul MIAD
    Geissele DMR trigger*
    Mega Arms charging handle
    Harris BRMS bipods
    Leupold Mk 4. LR/T TMR M1(I like baselines) 4.5-14 x 40mm* W/leupold mk4 scope rings.*(still thinking on it...lots of glass out there)
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Looks like a top-quality list of components.

The Mega monolithics have been hard to come by for months, but Mega has made some recent shipments to their retail dealers.

As for the scope, what are baselines? (Regardless, seeing your list of components, consider a mil-mil first-focal-plane optic to complete what is sure to be an outstanding package.)
    Drifter

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      Looks like a top-quality list of components.

The Mega monolithics have been hard to come by for months, but Mega has made some recent shipments to their retail dealers.

As for the scope, what are baselines? (Regardless, seeing your list of components, consider a mil-mil first-focal-plane optic to complete what is sure to be an outstanding package.)
      You hit the nail on the head...the glass will most def be a mil-mil first-focal-plane optic but I also don't have problems with MOA. Split between NF or Leupold....most likely will be a leupold as I can get one for a great price and the only FFP NF makes is the F1 which is pricey. Also thinking about trying a horus reticle but might just stay with a TMR/mildot as that's what I'm used to.

Lower has been switched to a matching Mega lower as the seekins won't be here tell around Oct so I'll use that for the future 300blackout I have planned.

Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Here is an updated pic of my progression.

Some parts have changed due to availability and what not.

Trigger is Geissele highspeed match(really happy I got this one instead of the DMR)
        Lower is a matching Mega billet(really happy this turned out this way too since it matches perfectly)
        Wasn't happy with lothar and walther at all so barrel has been changed to a fluted Lilja 20" bull barrel chambered in 6.5grendel (not 264lbc which many people are doing now), which should also be here next week(IMO they are the best barrel manufacturer so that turned out for the best too).
        Scope should be here later in the week or beginning of next week.
        It is a Leupold Mk 4. LR/T Horus H27 M5 4.5-14 x 50mm W/leupold mk4 scope rings

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Looking good.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Well the barrel came today and it's completed....
            Special thanks to Mark at Precision Firearms for the barrel, I looked forever to find someone that had a 6.5 barrel in stock.

Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Very nice Rifle WB!

How do you like that Horus reticle?

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Thanks!

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot with it yet but it looks like it will become my new favorite reticle. From my background shooting with mildots and TMRs holdoffs look like they will be alot easier and I will be able to leave the BDC alone and just use holds if I choose which is nice.

Comment

What a awsome looking build ! Good luck with it....

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Great looking rifle!
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Welcome WildBill3/75, and excellent build. Looking forward to seeing how she turns out for you at distance. The Lilja pipe should deliver 1/2 MOA for you when you find the right loads for it. Factory AMAX should probably come in at .75 MOA easy.

If you hand-load, run a ladder test with it with your intended bullets, rather than wasting a bunch on loading 5 equal charge weights at a time. You'll find your accuracy nodes very quickly.

If you're punching paper & steel, the 123gr Lapua Scenar, 123gr AMAX, 130gr Norma GT, and 130gr Berger VLD are great pills. We're seeing some excellent results with the longer bearing surface pills on top of CFE223. You might want to get a PRI 6.8 mag, that will allow 2.300" COAL so you can get more powder in the case and mag-feed them at that length. Other guys have modified their mags to allow longer COAL, by clearing out material for the projectile tips.

Check out BWild97's data with CFE and tons of different bullets.

Also, if you spend a lot of time in those woods in the background of your pics with little time for hand-loading, Precision Firearms makes some great factory loads, such as the 123gr Lapua Silver Scenar in Lapua brass.

Comment

Working...
                      X