Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To brake, or not to brake...

...that is the question.

For my 16" Grendel that is used for target shooting, but's real purpose is for hunting, I am trying to decide if I should put a muzzle brake on it, or just leave it with the flash suppressor. I am not soliciting suggestions on any particular make or model of brake, but rather, should I even bother doing it at all? I know it's a lot louder to shoot with a brake on there, but didn't know if it's worth doing on a 16" barrel or not.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tailgate View Post
    ...that is the question.

For my 16" Grendel that is used for target shooting, but's real purpose is for hunting, I am trying to decide if I should put a muzzle brake on it, or just leave it with the flash suppressor. I am not soliciting suggestions on any particular make or model of brake, but rather, should I even bother doing it at all? I know it's a lot louder to shoot with a brake on there, but didn't know if it's worth doing on a 16" barrel or not.
    TG:

I use them only if I think that the time I save in re-acquiring a target is worth the money, additional noise, crap getting blown around and into your face, and the risk of reduced accuracy. Shooting them inside an enclosed area or where hard surfaces will reflect the noise will fatigue the shooter. So, guys use them for speed shooting sports and maybe hunting such as hogs where fast follow on shots are more likely.

For target shooting, they are unnecessary and will probably reduce the potential performance of the rifle and you.

LR1955

Comment

My thoughts are the major advantage of a muzzle break is the ability to spot the bullets impact. Added weight, extra length, kicking up dirt when shooting prone and increased noise are the draw backs. If you're going to run a flash hider you will have some added weight & length. What about running a brake for targets and a thread protector for hunting?

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I put one on my 20" and it helps keep me on target for follow up shots. It does make it loud and a 16" will be louder. I made one shot on a deer last season and my ears rang for hours. I take it off when hunting or wear ear plugs when feasible now.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Got one on my 20" and 24". Like having them on and to me the biggest advantage is when shooting at the local range. On my 24", It does a pretty good job of keeping the benches on either side of me clear. No rubbing elbows while I am punching paper. lol.......

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Since your rifle's primary purpose is for hunting applications, and I assume that you don't hunt with hearing protection, stick with a flash hider. Most FH's will protect the muzzle threads and crown without increasing noise and blast to the shooter. Most brakes will bring tears to your eyes with just one shot without hearing protection, especially with shorter barrels. No need to risk permanent hearing damage. The Grendel is mild to shoot, and spotting shot impacts at longer distances doesn't necessitate a brake.
            Drifter

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JohnOD View Post
              My thoughts are the major advantage of a muzzle break is the ability to spot the bullets impact. Added weight, extra length, kicking up dirt when shooting prone and increased noise are the draw backs. If you're going to run a flash hider you will have some added weight & length. What about running a brake for targets and a thread protector for hunting?
              OD:

Having done so with WCI brakes and compensators on other rifles / calibers, the zero and grouping capabilities change radically between a brake, a flash suppressor, and a thread protector. So, a person will have to develop loads for each. A hassle but not impossible, either.

LR1955

Comment

I have experienced hearing damage even when wearing electronic muffs while standing directly behind an AR15 with a "tank" style muzzle break, and I was about 10ft away as well. I almost demanded that my friend remove it, and that's on a 16" 5.56 carbine. If you are on the gun as the shooter wearing ear pro, you're less likely to experience damage, but many of the gilled & large-ported breaks will rock people's world around you, and yes, they do help clear the benches at the range to your left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  OD:

Having done so with WCI brakes and compensators on other rifles / calibers, the zero and grouping capabilities change radically between a brake, a flash suppressor, and a thread protector. So, a person will have to develop loads for each. A hassle but not impossible, either.
                  LR1955
                  Agreed. I recently replaced the Vortex flash hider on my 458 SOCOM with a thread protector and noticed a significant increase in group size. I am confident that with some load tweaking I'll get it back to shooting minute of elk.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    I have experienced hearing damage even when wearing electronic muffs while standing directly behind an AR15 with a "tank" style muzzle break, and I was about 10ft away as well. I almost demanded that my friend remove it, and that's on a 16" 5.56 carbine. If you are on the gun as the shooter wearing ear pro, you're less likely to experience damage, but many of the gilled & large-ported breaks will rock people's world around you, and yes, they do help clear the benches at the range to your left and right.
                    I used it have a Barrett M99 .50 cal. Now that muzzle break would clear some benches.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

I have video of shooting .50 BMG's with breaks.....rifle cases along with shooting mats just blow away violently like a hurricane just hit.

Comment

Thanks all. I think you all convinced me of what I was already thinking...I am just going to put a Vortex on there, and not worry about braking it. I was mostly concerned with the amount of noise, especially with a 16".

As for hunting without hearing protection, well, with the advent of electronic muffs, I don't know why you wouldn't wear them even hunting. Sure, you can't tell direction of sound very well, but one animal is not worth losing your hearing over.

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          I have video of shooting .50 BMG's with breaks.....rifle cases along with shooting mats just blow away violently like a hurricane just hit.
                          I was banned, at least my .50 was, from a local range because the blast ripped down some screen they put up between the benches to catch brass. I said I would fix it, I even had the tools in my truck, but the old codger that ran the place was pretty unreasonable about the whole deal.

Comment

I had a model 99 as well and it was gruesome. it was not good to shoot it prone without a mat. the first time i fired it i had quite an audience and one of the guys threw his open pack of smokes on bench beside me. He didnt smoke any of that pack! I do miss that gun.

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                              I had a model 99 as well and it was gruesome. it was not good to shoot it prone without a mat. the first time i fired it i had quite an audience and one of the guys threw his open pack of smokes on bench beside me. He didnt smoke any of that pack! I do miss that gun.
                              LOL. Miss mine also. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...
                              X