20" Barrel with rifle length system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20" Barrel with rifle length system?

Found a 20" barrel and its drilled for a rifle length gas system. Are there any pros and cons to this? I've heard smoother cycling. Any concerns I should be aware of? Thanks
  • RangerRick

Originally posted by KDOGG43 View Post
    Found a 20" barrel and its drilled for a rifle length gas system. Are there any pros and cons to this? I've heard smoother cycling. Any concerns I should be aware of? Thanks
    That's the configuration of the original M-16/AR-15, so functionally it's fine. The farther forward the gas block, the lower the pressure in the gas tube. That's good as long as there is enough to operate the action. The gas port hole size plays a part in that too. The Grendel tends to be over gassed anyway, so I could see where that might be smoother, but getting the proper buffer for your gas system is the key to that.

For iron sights you get a longer sight radius if the front sight is mounted on the gas block, longer is better in that regard. You'll need to use rifle length hand guards, which can add a little weight, but also gives you more flexibility in your front hand position. A longer front rail will give you more room to bolt junk onto your rifle. Don't know if that's a plus or a minus.

Rick

Comment

For iron sights, my 20" 223 ar has the front sight mounted on one of the JP mounts right behind the compensator. Have a friend with a lathe open that JP part up to match my barrel diameter. That is probably an extra 4" of sight radius. Maybe a little more. Also, several companies are making extra long hand guards that cover the gas block completely for even more opportunities to position your hand for better muzzle control while shooting.

Comment

What about the carbine length system? Pro/Cons? At the moment I'm waiting for a barrel with the carbine length system, should I reconsider this set-up? Does it kick more? Is it harder on the receiver?

Comment

Working...
        X