Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pontifreak

New to the 6.5 Grendel

Hi everybody. I am getting into long range shooting. Always wanted to. I have a 300 Remington Ultra Mag in the Model 700 Sendero 26" Fluted Barrel. I also have a DPMS LR-308 with the 24" Bull Barrel and a Browning BAR in .3006 with the B.O.S.S. barrel. All of these shoot really well, but they're all pretty heavy. Especially the DPMS.
    Over the years, I have become an AR man almost without realizing it. I have 3 in .223 and 2 in .308. They're great rifles.
    Now though, I want to build a 6.5 Grendel. I want to reach way out there without the heavy weight of those 30 cal. rifles.
    I just bought a Tactical Innovations Billet lower today.
    I was told today that the longer barrels don't have any advantage of the 20" Alexander Arms Upper.
    Opinions with reasons?

Welcome. I also own the AR10-sized stick in .260 Remington, since the Grendel and .260 have made it so I have not much interest in .308 anymore. The Grendel is almost half the weight of my .260 AR.

Depending on your loads, you can milk some more velocity out of the 24" barrels over a 20", but it depends on how you balance your gas system and recoil system with the loads. Either way, you will want an adjustable gas block if you're going to push the cartridge. My 16" Grendel is well within 150fps of 24" velocities using certain factory loads, and has come within 14fps of 2600fps with a 123gr.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Howdy & welcome!

Based off your post, I would agree with what you were told. You already have the big, heavy sticks so I would lean to the 20" or even an 18". There is definitely a point of diminishing returns in terms of barrel length with this cartridge. It does very well for what it was designed for and that is optimizing long range performance from a light to medium weight platform. 18"-20" really seems to be the sweet spot for a wide range of applications. There are cases where there is an advantage to the longer barrels but you are almost trying to squeeze blood from a turnip at that point IMO.
      Last edited by txgunner00; 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I just looked at your location... I made a comment just yesterday about us Texans taking over this site and you added to the proof! There are a number of members here in the central Texas area that already have some time behind our Grendel as well as a good number that are the the same phase as you. We really need to plan a get together at BOTW or some other place with a long range.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Pontifreak

Central Texas Shooting

I've been there once. I was running a job out in Liberty Hill and had just bought my DPMS .308 LR 16" Barrel. I wanted to sight in the backup sights before I put the scope on it. I had no spotting scope, no sand bags, no nothing. So I got it hitting at 50 yards and left.
          About three weeks ago, I went to a Fellowship of Christian Sportsmen event out in Bertram. Basically, the event was burning lots of gunpowder just about anyway you wanted to. A couple of us wanted to shoot long range with our DPMS .308 LRs, 24" bull barrel rifles. The host had a steel plate and a long field. We were shooting 940 yards. My friend shoots very regularly at BOTW, so he already knew his "Dope" for that range. He was shooting 178 gr stuff and I was shooting 175 gr. Double Tap BTHP. It was a little hotter than my Federal stuff. I used his Dope and hit 4 out of 4 shots. I'm pretty much hooked. The only problem is that I live way south in Buda. It's a long drive and requires blowing the whole day, pretty much.
          But I agree, we need to get people together and start shooting some.

Comment

Working...
          X