X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GlockandRoll

6.5 g complete kits?

I know M1S sells one, who else does?
    If you have a link.. that would be great.

I had such great luck with my JP 6.5 upper that I want to build a complete rifle for a spare stripped lower I have.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Drifter

Comment

• pinzgauer
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

I'm not a fan of M1 Sales in general, and especially of their 6.5 sporter "just like a grendel" (but it's not) kits.

If you want a budget build the J&T kits are a known quantity. All that I'm aware of have had spec grendel chambers, proper grendel bolts, and J&T will tell you who made key parts (barrels, etc). You can upgrade just about anything and make it close to a custom build. Every J&T kit I've built, or friends have built (over 10 now) have worked flawlessly out of the box. No drama, no issues from oddball chambers, etc.

Their FF SS Bull grendel shoots very well, and there are several folks on the forum here who have had very good results with them. Mine would shoot 100-200 yd 1/2 MOA groups at will if I did my part. And that with a stock AR trigger and Chinese scope! A friend bought it, put a Nikon 223 scope on it and it's a bugholes gun now.

You won't win any snob appeal like some of the boutique builds people do, but for a solid, basic grendel they would be my pick if I could not swing AA.

One other approach to consider is to get an LMT or BCM lower and an AA upper. I started by building my lowers and buying my uppers. I've now flipped, I can get an LMT lower complete for not much more than I can build one with lower quality parts. Uppers I like the AA barrel/bolt combos with their complete upper receiver, GI M-16 carrier, etc. So I build my own now, but invested in the proper tools.

Comment

• Blacklab
        Warrior
        • Mar 2012

I just received a Midway flier for May. Their selling a complete upper A3 free float Grendel overwatch match grade 24" 1/9 for $919.99. Heres the product # 115 064. They also have the 50 Beowulf 316-928 for $719.99
        Last edited by Blacklab; 05-01-2012, 05:15 AM.
        Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• MrDraco
          Warrior
          • Jul 2011

Too bad they both are out of stock and Midway is selling them for over $100 more then what you can order them for from AA.

Comment

• GlockandRoll

Thanks for the info guys.
            What is the problem with the M1S 6.5 sporter bbls?
            i've had phenonimally good luck with thier ER Sway SS bbls.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

They don't use a SAAMI chamber, but instead a chamber they specc'd, and a non-Grendel spec bolt.

Thus you MAY have issues with factory ammo.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                They don't use a SAAMI chamber, but instead a chamber they specc'd, and a non-Grendel spec bolt.
                The bolt alone should worry you, it's a weaker design with different headspace. So you can't convert to a proper bolt later.

And when you factor in all the M1S hidden costs, will be as much or more as getting a kit with a SAAMI chamber & a proper bolt. No shortcuts!

Comment

Pinzgauer, I have the same problem with JT, with the basic parts, I get almost $800 starting at $614

Comment

I got my 24" Bbl 6.5 Grendel kit from J&T, for $750.00 shipped, the only thing I had to add was a Hogue grip!

Comment

• pinzgauer
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dust View Post
                      Pinzgauer, I have the same problem with JT, with the basic parts, I get almost $800 starting at $614
                      That was not my experience, Having priced out J&T vs M1S in more than one configuration early on. (2008)

J&T kit's are complete minus stripped lower. The M1S kit prices looked great at first. But then you had to add bolt/carrier. Then the surcharge for sort-of-grendel bolt, etc.

Based on recent scan of the M1S web page they have done a better job of including the BCG, etc. So maybe they have stopped that game.

Either J&T or M1S is not the cheapest if you are just buying raw parts separately, I can build an upper with AA parts for the same. So the advantage of the kit mfg's like J&T is if you want to get your hands dirty, learn about AR's, and end up with a budget build that works out of the box. Decent parts, decent build quality, decent price. And the option to upgrade individual components if you want.

So if you price a J&T up to $800 you must be adding upgrades, which are probably not in the M1S basic kit either. The J&T basic grendel kit is $614, and just needs a stripped lower & mag. (A2 or M4 clone). M1S is $575 for similar, so it is currently cheaper. Both have Shaw barrels. For $35-40 difference I'd rather go with the real grendel chamber with J&T. There are dozens on the board with good results, and several of us with the J&T SS Bull barrel are getting bughole accuracy.

Not trying to talk you into J&T, just that there can be differences.

Comment

• GlockandRoll

Here's what I'm finding w/JT, I cant just choose the standard hand-guard, it makes you pick one of the upgrades.

Notice: I only wanted to thread the BBL and have a JP adjustable gas block.. but you cant select the "free" choice like you can w/the other items.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2012

I built a model 1 sales gun in 300 fireball (almost a 300 whisper) but actually better a the neck is a little looser allowing the forming of cases from 223 as opposed to 221 I had a good experience and I like the gun but at this point I prefer to scratch build my guns but if you don't want to buy tools the kits are great as the uppers are completed
                          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Pinz, I was looking at building it the way I would make it anyway, meaning free float, chrome, low pro gas block, etc.

Comment

GlockandRoll, Give them a call, they will get you what you want! I know the web site is a little bit funky with the Grendel pages, I had the same issues when I wanted to order my kit Online.

Comment

Working...
                              X