24" barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24" barrel?

I'm getting ready to start my build. I'm trying to determine if I want to go with a 20" barrel or a 24" barrel. This will primarily be a hunting gun. Deer and long range Antelope. I was looking at ballistics and seems there is a substantial difference between the two lengths as far as muzzle energy at distances around 300 yds.

My question is will a forged upper be able to support the weight of the longer barrel?
    Or do i need to go with billet parts? Are there any other inherent problems with using the longer barrel? Cycling problems, etc?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the boards!

24 is long for a hunting AR. But longer is better if you are shooting out past 300-400 yards.

You really need to define the terrain you plan on hunting, the amount you plan on walking that terrain, etc.

No one can really make that choice but you. That said, if you buy the 24 and it is too bulky, you can always have it cut and recrowned. You can't make a 20" longer!
    Last edited by bwaites; 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks bwaites. Will the forged upper support the longer barrel ok? About how much will it weigh with a 24" barrel?

Comment

• El Wray
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        Welcome to the boards!

24 is long for a hunting AR. But longer is better if you are shooting out past 300-400 yards.

You really need to define the terrain you plan on hunting, the amount you plan on walking that terrain, etc.

No one can really make that choice but you. That said, if you buy the 24 and it is too bulky, you can always have it cut and recrowned. You can make a 20" longer!
        I agree, go long with the 24" barrel!
        "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but of those who look on and do nothing." Albert Einstein

www.el-wray.blogspot.com

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by KDOGG43 View Post
          Thanks bwaites. Will the forged upper support the longer barrel ok? About how much will it weigh with a 24" barrel?
          Yes, the forged upper will work with a 24" barrel.

On average, lowers weigh about 2.5-3.5 pounds, depending mostly on which stock you use.

24" uppers will weigh between 5-8 pounds depending on rails, etc.

So to total rifle weight could be as low as 8 pounds and as high as 11 or 12 before you put optics on it.

Comment

Originally posted by KDOGG43 View Post
            I'm getting ready to start my build. I'm trying to determine if I want to go with a 20" barrel or a 24" barrel. This will primarily be a hunting gun. Deer and long range Antelope. I was looking at ballistics and seems there is a substantial difference between the two lengths as far as muzzle energy at distances around 300 yds.

My question is will a forged upper be able to support the weight of the longer barrel?
            Or do i need to go with billet parts? Are there any other inherent problems with using the longer barrel? Cycling problems, etc?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all.
            A mill-spec upper will work with a 24" barrel. For long range hunting over 300 yards I would use an AR-15 6.5 Grendel medium weight 24" barrel. What I do with 24" grendel and my 223 24" barrel is to weight the rear of the stock with lead stick on wheel weights. I use about 1 to 1 1/2 lb. It makes feel like a 20" barrel. I have a sling to carry it in the field, if it's a long hike. That's IMHO

Comment

Bwaites is right. Go with a 20" for hunting. If you make the gun too heavy you'll never want to hunt with it and end up buying something different to hunt with. Chances are you wont be knocking anything down at the range that it would make much of a difference between the two (that sounded weird but I hope it makes sense). I built a 24" anticipating to hunt and bench shoot with it and the gun ended up weighting 14.5lbs with optics.....sooooo now it's a great bench shooter.

Comment

Working...
              X