What chamber should I Pick, Who's good for turning barrel blanks to AR15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What chamber should I Pick, Who's good for turning barrel blanks to AR15?

I'm ordering two barrel blanks from Bartlein with the intent of creating two identical barrels for an AR15.

From these barrels, I intend to shoot everything from 100gr TTSX to 130gr Scirroco. I DO NOT intend to shoot either brass or steel cased Wolf.

First of all, what chamber? I'm focused on accuracy, but I'd like to know at what cost. What are the reasons someone would pick 264 LBC or 65 CSS? What are the reasons someone would pick 65 Grendel? Is one more reliable for feeding than the other? Is one more accurate, and if so, by how much (guesstimate is fine)?

Second, who is reliable for turning barrel blanks to an AR15 barrel in the specified contour and chamber?

Misc. info
    Aside from these two Bartlein's, I'm also going to buy a SS 16" barrel off alexanderarms.com to use as my beater barrel, to shoot wolf out of. These Bartlein's will only shoot the good stuff.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Chamber discussion has been beat to death, and you can likely find much discussion via the forum search.

That being said, you might want to find out which chamber reamers are available, or can be produced to meet your preferred time line. Or see if your selected gunsmith has a particular one on hand.

I've come to appreciate the Grendel chamber, but it wouldn't necessarily be the overall deciding factor if all other aspects of the project fell into place.
    Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Welcome!

There are a few members here who have shot various different options, and their consensus seems to be that there is MUCH more difference in the barrels than there is in the chambering of those barrels.

I feel that the cartridge and owners are best served by using the SAAMI chamber for AR's. For bolt rifles, there MAY be better options. The SAAMI chamber was designed for optimal feeding and accuracy using a variety of bullets.
      Last edited by bwaites; 04-03-2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X