Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deer shooter

Have 6.5 Grendel but needs Big brother

I have an Alexander 6.5 Grendel and love it. But, I'd like to get a big brother for it in .308. Now. Is Armalite, dpms etc. accurate like sub-moa or should I have one built. If to be built, who do you guys recommend. This message will self destruct in 1 minute so my wife does not see it !!!

Build, and chamber it in .260 Remington, which is just .308 necked down to 6.5mm. You'll have plenty of projectiles to play with for the Grendel and the .260, since they're the same caliber.

I can't recommend GA Precision enough for an accurate gun. There are a ton of receiver set makers out there to choose from in the big boys. I really like the stuff from Mega, Tactical Machining, Fulton, SI Defense, and LAR's new AR10 receivers.

If you want to buy an off-the-dealer gun, they are back-ordered significantly right now. Best bet to keep it from hitting the pocket all at once is to piece-by-piece it $100-$200-$300 at a time. Start with a great barrel, and go from there.

Armalite's tend to be more accurate, since their higher-end guns use select-matcg Douglas stainless barrels, that will shoot surprisingly well. They have a factory 22" .260 Rem AR-10 too, but they are back-ordered.

Just piece it together would be my advice.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Consider a build on the Mega Ma-Ten, preferably the monolithic. With the Mega, you don't have to get too caught up in which barrels will fit, which handguards go with which receiver heights from which years, and Magpul polymer mags will work. More than likely, you could find parts to build a quality setup for less money and less wait versus the semi-customs (such as GAP).

Like LRRPF52 mentioned, a 6.5 of some sort would be a strong candidate versus the 308.

If you're not comfortable with a build, there's likely someone in your area that would help you. The shooting community is often a very friendly and helpful group of people.
      Drifter

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I own an Armalite 308 that is very accurate. If I were to purchase another one I would get it in 260 Rem. Much better long range potential with less recoil . LRRPF52 is right on the money recommending the 260 Rem.

Comment

• hicapacity

im the opposite looking to build a little brother to my DPMS 260 lr !

Comment

• hicapacity

Im looking to build a Grendel for my big brother DPMS 260 lr !

Comment

If you want reliable functionality and great off the shelf accuracy, consider the RRA LAR-8 Predator HP. It's not overly heavy for the bigger platform and balanced well. My first reload effort consisted of 4) 5-shot loads in a ladder test at 100 yards. They were shot round robin to prevent a good or bad group from influencing the outcome and here's the results:

Surprisingly, the cheapest primers produced the best group.

I was and am duly impressed with the rifle. Not being one to accept success and having learned that the DPMS LR308 family of barrels fit the LAR-8, I purchased a 24" 260 Rem bull barrel for it. Suddenly, it was nose heavy, but then that's a small bore in a lot of steel barrel. The accuracy so far has been far less impressive than the .308 for 5-shot 100 yard groups. I am working on it though and just haven't found a suitable load.

FWIW, I was also considering the 6.5 Creedmoor as well as the 260 Rem before I got the barrel, but found a stocking dealer who was selling the less publicised 260 Rem for a hundred dollars less than the Creedmoor and I already owned a 260 Rem bolt action rifle, so I had all the reloading components. I don't even bother shooting my bolt action 260 at 100 yards as it is boringly accurate (one hole) at that range, with several different loads. The same ones that don't shoot as accurate in the DPMS. So, the jury is out on the .260 barrel. The Cryo'd .308 barrel that is native with the rifle sure is the opposite though. YMMV

Hoot

Comment

Working...
              X