Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new here, planning first build, barrel question

Hello everyone,
    Recently got the bug to build a new AR rifle, this will be my first and I'm pretty sure I will be going with the 6.5 Grendel. Im sure I will have many questions. My plan for it will be just a good all around rifle that I can hunt with and use for pretty much lots of other things from varmints to people. I like accuracy but will not be asking for 2 inch groups at 700 yards, I would like sub MOA though.

First question is, I found a Blackhole Weaponry barrel for $236.99. It is an 18" mid length stainless 1:9 three grove poly barrel finished in black and threaded. I know the wait for a custom barrel will be long so I'm wondering if this would fill my needs? it appears a little heavy at 2.3 lbs but not too bad I guess.

Please give me your thoughts on this first question of many to come I'm sure, thanks for your time.

Good choice on the Grendel. Most guy here are getting sub-moa, the Grendel is an inherently accurate cartridge. An 18" barrel is a good choice for your intended use. I have no experience with Blackhole Weaponry but I'm sure someone here will chime in with an opinion. The 2.3 weight of the barrel is about right, I've got an 18" w/bouble fluting and it weighs 1.9lbs.

Questions here are welcomed and so are you, welcome to the Horde.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2012, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Thank you. The other obvious reason for this barrel is not just its ready now but the price is cheap! Im willing to drop more money if needed but really don't feel like wasting anything since this thing is going to cost a pretty penny to get done right.

Comment

I built my first Grendel with a BHW 16" barrel, and took it to the range yesterday for the first time (you can see my range report on my build thread). Long story short, the conditions were horrible, but the barrel and rifle performed great. I was shocked at how clean the polygonal rifled barrel was...I was using Spooge for copper / lead removal (similar product to Sweets) and the patches were coming out clean, with no noticeable copper or lead fouling. Night and day difference compared to a cut-rifled barrel.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I can't comment on BHW barrels (as I have no experience with them), but welcome to the board!
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
          X