Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65G_Sethum

What length barrel should i get?

Im looking at getting a barrel from AA and i was just wondering what length i should get. I want one that will give me better accuracy than the 16" but dont want it to be too cumbersome while walking with it. So the question is should i go with the 18" or the 20"? any suggestions would be helpful. Im kind of leaning towards the 18"

With modern barrels, accuracy isn't so much derived from length, but velocity is. Velocity will help accuracy downrange when the bullet starts getting blown around by wind. A 16" barrel will throw a bullet 1000 yards but a 24" barrel will make it reasonably accurate when it gets there. If you never plan on shooting more than 200 yards go with a 16" barrel. If you want to shoot at a 1000 yards, go 24". I went 18" because I think it'll be about right for hunting deer out to 300 and wolves (2 or 4 legged) out to 600.

Accuracy will also be improved with a good trigger and a good scope. The longer the barrel, the heavier the rifle and heavy rifles are no fun to lug around. Ah, the art of compromise.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2012, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

If on foot a good bit with a scoped rifle, an 18" is often a good choice unless hunting mostly open country.
      Drifter

Comment

I went 18", better handling and toting than the 20" but the question is how far do you want to reach, longer the reach the longer the barrel.

Comment

I have a 20" and like it for the most part. Most of my hunting is open country. Keep in mind that adding a muzzle device (I have the WCI on my Grendel) will make a 20" feel like a 23".

Comment

Check the drift figures for 16" and 24" barrels using the muzzle velocities from Alexander Arms Ballistic tables. For example, The 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip gets 2450 ft/sec from a 16" barrel and 2600 from a 24" barrel.

Dropwise, a deer will still get hit in the vital zone for either one out to past 250 yards when aiming for the center of the vital zone.

Similarly, the difference in drift is almost within most shooters' ability to dope wind and aim out to past 500 yards.

The picture may change a tiny bit if you are shooting competition at 600 yards and further out. The less than 10% difference in drift can make a critical difference in score.

Bottom line, were I choosing today I probably wouldn't have insisted on a 24" barrel for my son's Grendel.

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Thanks for everyones responses. I think i will go with the 18" it should allow for those 500-600 yard shots plus it will look a bit more "tacti-cool"

Comment

For a well-rounded gun, I think the 18" barrel is great for the Grendel. They are the most in-demand and out-of-stock usually from all the vendors I track.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2012

I would give up barrel diameter and go with the longer barrel, to gain some velocity.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X