Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazines

So I'm new to the Grendel. My first build will be complete just as soon as AA gets me the barrel. Can the standard 5.56 mag be used for the Grendel? I know it would hold less rounds but heard that they are the same. Is this true?
  • Clod Stomper

No, I'm afraid they aren't the same. You can get a few rounds to feed from a 5.56 mag but not many.

Right now there is only one manufacturer of Grendel mags. Can't remember the name offhand, but it used to be C-Products.

Will

Comment

5.56 mags are quite different. The Grendel mags have shallower guide ribs in them, and different feed lips, as well as different followers. If you search the forum, there are a lot of discussions and photographs of magazines, manufacturer sources, tweaks, modifications, and ideas for the future.

Comment

I guess mag shopping is in order for me. I just wanted to make sure. I've made unnecessary purchases before and do not want to again. Good info. Thanks.

Comment

Ammunition Storage Components (ASC).

I ordered a couple of 17rd mags and they look great, good enough that I ordered two more tonight. Like you, I'm waiting on a barrel so I can't yet attest to their functioning. I will say, however, that fully-loaded they bulge enough that they won't drop free when the release is pressed (they do when empty). I wish they would move the primary (large) groove back about 0.3" as I think they did with the 5.45x39 magazines. In theory, I would think this would strengthen the walls of the mag exactly where the flexing is occurring. Since they flattened the two secondary grooves somewhat in order to make the cases fit the mag, it's not clear to me why they didn't move the deep one back. Maybe Bill Alexander can fix this for us or at least have a kind conversation with the people that make these things ...
          Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• bertrunner

i have a guy here in OK who is selling 7 mags 1 is 17 rounds the other 6 are 26 rounds he wants $135 for all of them they are all new and im planning on getting them so if someone is interested i will have a few

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bertrunner View Post
              i have a guy here in OK who is selling 7 mags 1 is 17 rounds the other 6 are 26 rounds he wants $135 for all of them they are all new and im planning on getting them so if someone is interested i will have a few
              That same order would only cost you $126+ shipping here.

NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bertrunner

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                That same order would only cost you $126+ shipping here.

http://www.ammosc.com/storename/ammu...pt-273393.aspx
                thanks i was looking around to see if it was a good deal and all i found were mags for 20 bucks + shipping

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bertrunner View Post
                  thanks i was looking around to see if it was a good deal and all i found were mags for 20 bucks + shipping
                  No problem. Now you can talk that guy down a bit.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I understand the 6.5 mags and 5.56 are different but I have heard some ppl had luck making the 5.56 mags work. My question is that I live in a ban state so I have a bunch of 30 round dated ar mags. I am willing to change the followers or do work to the magazine so I can retain the high capacity mag in my state (probably not cost effective if you live where there's no legal issues with high capacity mags). Does anyone have any info or let me know what exactly needs to be modified? All info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• pestilence

Grendel mags have shallower indented ribs in the sides. You can't modify a 5.56 mag to run 6.5 without destroying it.

Grendel - http://www.galatiinternational.com/product/AM65GS.html

5.56 - http://www.galatiinternational.com/p...VAR223S30.html

Comment

Yep, I agree: I think you'll be disappointed if you try to modify. I'd suggest just buying new 6.5 mags and leaving your 5.56 mags as they are.

Check out Ammunition Storage Components (ASC), they have mags for whatever capacity is legal in your state.

Comment

Working...
                        X