• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Odin O2 Lite Handguard Connection Interface

I'm contemplating one of these for a build on the basis of weight and internal clearance. It would be for a pin and weld so I want to be sure I understand it right. My main clearance issue with non carbon lightweight handguards is that I will be using JP barrel radiator fins.

I've watched the installation videos on youtube and still can't get a complete understanding of the forend adaptor / barrel nut / barrel / rail Interface.

As I understand it, the forend adaptor is screwed onto the receiver extension and then backed off of 100% tight in order to align. The barrel nut is then threaded into the forend adaptor. When the barrel nut is torqued, is it applying pressure on the adaptor whose threads then apply pressure on the receiver extension threads? Is the adapter stable at this point or is it somehow still a tad loose. When the rail is installed, do the screws go into the forend adapter only, or do they go down to the barrel and is that what keeps the forend adaptor stable. Thanks!
    Let's go Brandon!
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Someone's got to know. A lot of people were recommending it a few years ago. All Odin handguards apparently have the same system, so feel free to chime in!

It actually becomes a bigger issue as I contemplated between a 9.5" and 12.5". There's no way I'd be able to fit Magnetospeed on with a 12.5" - there will probably only be an inch of barrel clear with a VG6 Epsilon. I've done load development before with taking the handguard off. It's a pia but it works.But if the if the adapter isn't completely secure with the handguard off, it won't.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

I have an O2, though it is on an upper that was pre-built. I have removed the rail when I went down the rabbit hole of applying a camo paint job but I never removed the barrel nut. That said the adaptor was solidly in place being held by the nut, so yes it is secured at this point. The rail screw holes line up nicely and the rail has a tight fit to the adaptor. The rail screws are short and they don't have the length needed to reach the barrel itself, again the adaptor is not loose if the barrel is properly torqued to 40/60 lbs. Do apply 1 tiny drop of blue loctite or vibra-tite type of product to each of the rail screws.

It's a nice light rail that seems stout enough for my use with decent ID clearance.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Thanks - that's extremely helpful. After reading your response, finding a good picture of the inside of the adapter and watching the video again, it looks like instead of the "normal" situation where barrel nut threads are torqued onto the receiver threads, the barrel nut torques on the adapter threads which then torque on the receiver threads. A mechanical engineer might take issue with how I said that but it looks like a pretty solid system. The downside I see is adding an additional part that could add variability to the alignment of the bore with the receiver - primarily the need for the adapter to be machined straight.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Joe Bob Rocks! Not only did he dun save me money on an O2 Handguard and some other parts I ordered last night (and that's before free shipping starting at $90 and no sales tax), I ordered parts from 4 other places last night. I knew Joe Bob would ship first. But to top it off, he dun sent it 2 day FedEx.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Good to hear c-19 isn't slowing them down. Wish I could have been of more help but since the upper I received shot so darn good I didn't feel like messing with it short just removing the rail itself, usually just build'em myself but the deal I got from Dsa was too good to pass up. I couldn't source the parts cheaper than what they were selling it for at the time, so pretty a no brainer.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

You were very helpful - confirmed it doesn't have some of the things I don't like in some systems. Since I'll get it long before anything else, I'll have plenty of time to check it out and let it marinate. I ordered chambered BHW blanks from True Sporting Arms and it may be a month before I get them and everything goes to the gunsmith.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Handguard arrived. I don't have a barrel or barrel extension (Brownell's hasn't shipped the extension yet and BHW will ship the barrel when they get around to it) but I was able to piece it together for any wondering how it does actually work and for posterity. All current Odin handguards apparently use this system.

This is the forend adaptor. Threads all in the same direction (discolor is from some antiseize from prior receiver use):

IMG_20201111_173409_copy_518x389.jpg

This is the forend adaptor screen onto the receiver:

IMG_20201111_173541_copy_583x470.jpg

And this is the barrel nut screwed all of the way in:

IMG_20201111_173707_copy_487x447.jpg

So the barrel nut presses the extension against the receiver extension as normal and then the torque will flow into the adaptor and through to the interface between the adaptor threads and receiver extension threads. They include a packet of thread locker to use on everything which includes the portions of the red spectrum I can perceive (and no green or blue), so it's safe to assume it's red .

The bottoms of the screwholes on the receiver have flanges, presumably to stop the screws from going too deep. If they did, they would actually go into the barrel nut threads in the front and the receiver extension threads in the rear. Probably not a good idea!

This thing is light with plenty of internal clearance and I am definitely liking the attachment system better than many of the lightweight options that secure the handguard on the barrel nut with a clamshell type system (where my theory is that changing tension could move the rifles zero).
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• R2BRO
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

honestly...i was also thinking about this, and yes, two pieces hold together well maybe.

but main question is, does it mean that now you have less reliable design? and is it OK to use it with setup meant for precision work with expensive barrel?
                  Last edited by R2BRO; 11-21-2020, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
                    honestly...i was also thinking about this, and yes, two pieces hold together well maybe.

but main question is, does it mean that now you have less reliable design? and is it OK to use it with setup meant for precision work with expensive barrel?
                    I'm going to be using this with a 243 LBC pin and weld with an unturned BHW chambered blank I'm going to have a gunsmith do all the work on. The barrel nut will be married to the barrel after the welding torch comes out, so I hope so! I got my barrel extension and put it in there and the lock up is tight when I torque it by hand. With the thread locker they provide, I'm confident it will be very stable - a lot more stable than the clamshell type systems found on most lightweight handguard systems than can be prone to zero drift. So in terms of reliability, I think its one of the better options in the lightweight realm. But I've generally used Aero Enhanced Receivers (and even an Aero monolithic) or ALG handguards (I love their system but it's too narrow for this one) for precision builds where weight isn't a driving factor.

The risk is having another tolerance variable in the interface and potentially affecting bore alignment - going from receiver + barrel extension + barrel + barrel nut and adding in the adaptor. It's a risk I've accepted in order to be able to go with the dissipator instead of passing on the dissipator and going with some of the other lightweight options (or having the barrel turned to 0.50" instead of 0.64" between the chamber and gas block so I could use the smaller diameter dissipator).
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• R2BRO
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

well i also selected this due to dissipator... but again I don't know..just found on some forums that people say they actually recommend this system for precision build cuz of a superior mounting..

Comment

• Lastrites
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

I've had mine for a couple of years and haven't been gentle with it as it had been my go to hunting rifle. I haven't noticed any issues with this particular design and how it locks up, I can flex the front end of the 15" handguard a small amount when squeezing the end of rail and barrel but that is to be expected. When I've removed the handguard and then reinstalled it takes zero effort to line it back up as the adaptor doesn't budge and the returns to were it was located previously. I can't say the same about my MI rails and others where I have to use care in squaring it back up to the receiver.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
                          well i also selected this due to dissipator... but again I don't know..just found on some forums that people say they actually recommend this system for precision build cuz of a superior mounting..
                          That's good to hear.! I've personally gotten a measurable improvement in accuracy in a rifle by moving from a Strike Industries rail to an ALG. The Strike had the 2 screws on the bottom that clamp/squeeze the rail around the barrel nut. The ALG system has a similarity to the Odin system in that 6 screws are used to secure it INTO (and not against) the barrel nut.

IMG_20201121_065659_copy_447x388.jpg

The rail is solidly secured and if a screw(s) loosen, it's still not moving. And just as important, if a screw loosens, it's not affecting any pressure on the barrel which could shift a zero. I see that being the same with the Odin.
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• R2BRO
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

Hey I have another question.

so here is a thing, I did receive now VC3, and as per the instructions I applied VC3 on the barrel nut of O2 handguard, then screwed it in with 50lbs-ft.

but here is what I was thinking - did I apply enough of VC3? i basically applied VC3 with brush and VC3 was pretty runny and spread across in kind of a thin layer...so at some point I was thinking "what if I did not apply thick enough layer of VC3 on thread and it will at some point detach/unscrew etc?"
                            but on another side I was thinking that... applying too much is probably not good since there is danger of not being able to screw it in fully so that it presses against the barrel shoulder against receiver...

anyway... here is a pic after I applied it and screwed it in, after applying I had a feeling that I applied a bit more towards left of barrel nut than its beginning, but again, I remember seeing VC3 "being runny and ran around" all threads when I was applying with brush. (btw, on barrel nut adapter-receiver i applied regular grease)

notice some red stuff inside first hole from left? that kind of makes sense, cuz while screwing it in some of VC3 got gathered at that edge inside... and to me it tells that maybe I should not worry that there is not enough VC3, correct?

I guess no need to be overthinking and even taking it apart and applying again but with more thick layer of VC3?

thoughts?
                            Last edited by R2BRO; 11-24-2020, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

I think you'll be fine. Just like using thread locker for scope ring screws, it's probably really only in there as a precaution. It will spread around as the nut gets screwed on. Too much could gum up the threads.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                              X