• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • okiecat
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

DIY Cerakote

Just wondering how many have done or tried this. I just done my first one. And it was a learning experience, I had watched several videos. Thought I had it all figured out but alas I missed a few things. I will get some pics up of first one soon. They will all be ar pistols Im building. Hope some more of you can offer pics and input.
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

There are quite a few of us here, who Cerakote our own rifles. Keep at it, it can be a lot of fun.

Comment

• okiecat
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

I like it, a lot of work and time consuming. But I like something different or personal. Figured there would be more interest in this. Guess their all on you-tube.

Comment

• drewthebrave
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

Cerakote is a really great finish if done properly. So far I've only tried my hand at rattle can painting, but eventually plan to try some Cerakoting after I figure out what colors & patterns I like best. My first attempt was testing some backyard camo designs on my Savage MkII with the Rustoleum Camouflauge pack. It turned out great, but the paint wears off very quickly, so isn't a great option for a protective finish. With my 80% AR lower, I tried out the Brownells AlumaHyde 2 in a single color (Parkerize Gray), which is a definite step above the Rustoleum in terms of durability. It's super easy and seems durable enough that I may just skip the Cerakote altogether. I'll upload some photos of my previous attempts soon.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...ting-the-rifle https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...-s-masterpiece!
          Here are a few links from former Cerakote project posts. It would help if you had direct questions. I'm more than happy to share any experience I have had with my Cerakote projects. Here is my latest rifle I Cerakoted, but it is not in 6.5 Grendel.https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-now-you-dont/

Comment

• redhat
            Bloodstained
            • May 2019

Originally posted by montana View Post
            It would help if you had direct questions. I'm more than happy to share any experience I have had with my Cerakote projects.
            This right here. What things did you miss?

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by redhat View Post
              This right here. What things did you miss?
              I never missed anything.
              Originally posted by okiecat View Post
              Thought I had it all figured out but alas I missed a few things. Hope some more of you can offer pics and input.
              The instructions are quite easy to follow and covers the basics, "which is why I asked for more direct questions", apparently there is no interest..

Comment

• okiecat
                Warrior
                • Sep 2017

Sorry to be gone so long, Work and Thanksgiving interrupt. Thanks for replys. Ive been online and phone with Cerakote tech. They think I over cured the base coat of yellow, which they said bright colors can be a pain. I have since tried 3 more times to paint the recievers, with no luck. I have since ordered a new color of yellow and will try that this weekend on a sample piece, getting tired of blasting whole receiver and all the other stuff. It has got to be over or under flashing base coat. Will find out for sure. I hope. Going with 12min@180 and 18min @180

Comment

Working...
                X