Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

PSA multi cal lower

• Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

If it was shipped as you mentioned it would have been done as an "other", completely legal to reconfigure into a pistol. If you ever visit ar15.com they have industry forum and PSA is a member and will respond fairly quickly. eta: it's not a rifle until a fully assembled upper is installed and I am sure by your description that you never installed an upper on it.

Funny I just realized that tomorrow was the day I ordered the parts for my first ar pistol 15 years ago, seems like a lifetime ago.
    Last edited by Lastrites; 06-04-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
      If it was shipped as you mentioned it would have been done as an "other", completely legal to reconfigure into a pistol. If you ever visit ar15.com they have industry forum and PSA is a member and will respond fairly quickly. eta: it's not a rifle until a fully assembled upper is installed and I am sure by your description that you never installed an upper on it.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Do as you will, but it's a rifle now.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Well the whole world can see its a rifle lower now, since you posted it here.

Legal once you put a rifle stock on it, it's always a rifle.

If it had come with a brace, then you would be good.

If it was a stripped lower you could build it into a pistol.

I mean you still could but the feds if need be could back track to this thread and see that you did technicly break the law.

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
            Well the whole world can see its a rifle lower now, since you posted it here.

Legal once you put a rifle stock on it, it's always a rifle.

If it had come with a brace, then you would be good.

If it was a stripped lower you could build it into a pistol.

I mean you still could but the feds if need be could back track to this thread and see that you did technicly break the law.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Lol. Good luck sir.

Once a rifle always a rifle.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

A5 I tried to lead him the proper way but he didn't take the hook and then TMI was passed. Guess the best thing at this point is to just purge the posts but we all know once it's been typed "they" have their ways to recreate.

Just a thought, hey FL when you received that lower did you happen to remove the stock when first cleaning it up and checking out and by chance you placed a <16" upper on it thus making it a pistol originally? All my builds begin as pistols then I go from there.
                Last edited by Lastrites; 06-05-2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• MaineAR
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2018

Comment

• FLshooter
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

It may have been transferred as other, but if it was "first" assembled as a rifle (stock), then it is a rifle always.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Question: If a lower is transferred to you as an "other" then what does the ATF care what it is at any time? It is always an "other" lower in whatever configuration they find it. They care a lot when a lower registered as a "rifle" when first transferred to the original owner is found in short configuration. Caviat: Do not put a rifle stock on a lower with a shorter than 16" OAL barrel, without paying the stamp and waiting on the approval. You may put a rifle length barreled upper on a pistol braced lower at any time without repercussion.

The ATF has no clue how you build your "other" lower - at any time you own it, unless you provide pictures and words in print to the contrary.

The only lower you may build to a shorter than rifle length pistol is one that was originally transferred to you as an "other". I don't know if there is an option to register a lower as a "pistol", I don't believe there is.

Rule: If a lower was originally transferred and registered as a "rifle" then it is always a rifle lower, period. If a lower was originally transferred as a "other" lower, then it can me bade (built) into any configuration the owner so desires, providing they can prove they are following the rules and standards they change at their whim.

Do not build a lower you buy privately as a pistol. Ever. Period. Buy a stripped lower or pistol built lower new at/from a licensed FFL, have it transferred to you as a new receiver as the original "owner", then carry on in any form you wish.

SBR = the dangerous step child. If you're going to put a rifle/carbine stock on the lower, and have a shorter than 16 OAL barrel, pay the stamp and wait.
                        Last edited by Kswhitetails; 06-07-2020, 03:40 PM.
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• FLshooter
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                          Question: If a lower is transferred to you as an "other" then what does the ATF care what it is at any time? It is always an "other" lower in whatever configuration they find it. They care a lot when a lower registered as a "rifle" when first transferred to the original owner is found in short configuration.

The ATF has no clue how you build your "other" lower - at any time you own it, unless you provide pictures and words in print to the contrary.

The only lower you may build to a shorter than rifle length pistol is one that was originally transferred to you as an "other". I don't know if there is an option to register a lower as a "pistol", I don't believe there is.

Rule: If a lower was originally transferred and registered as a "rifle" then it is always a rifle lower, period. If a lower was originally transferred as a "other" lower, then it can me bade (built) into any configuration the owner so desires, providing they can prove they are following the rules and standards they change at their whim.

Do not build a lower you buy privately as a pistol. Ever. Period. Buy a stripped lower or pistol built lower, have it transferred to you as a new receiver as the original "owner", then carry on in any form you wish.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Your better off useing on of your stripped lowers that's never had any buffer tube and stock on it.

Regardless of what psa are your ffl has told you. If something happens and the atf gets involved, they have all the proff written right here in this thread to burn you.

It's not worth the risk my freind, just use a lower that's never had a buffer tube installed on it before and then you will never have to have that idea in your head should something happen.

Comment

• Lastrites
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

While your intentions are good and you haven't yet turned your rifle into a pistol which isn't allowed since you originally made it into a rifle to start, lowers are cheap and you should just start anew.

Comment

Working...
                              X