• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobertFL
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

What Hand guard for 12" group buy?

What I want to do is to buy a Mlok HG for my 12 inch barrel. I want to be able to add a Suppressor when I can, will be a 2 stamp SBR.. I was looking for a 11 inch Hand Guard and found plenty of 10" and 12" and a couple of 10.5"...The 10.5 Mid West 3GM Gen3 is what I have found that is close . With the best of my abilities..I did use the search here but didn't find any. My 2 current uppers are 16" and have 15" hand guards..so I am used to only seeing a little bit of barrel sticking out of HG and used to having that much rail. What are you guys using on your 12 inch SBRs or Pistols? This will be a hunting Rifle. I'm not a AR expert so you may have to dumb it down for me....Thanks, Robert **EDIT** I plan on using a Superlative adjustable gas block, so I need to be able to have enough room for it.
    Last edited by RobertFL; 03-09-2020, 11:20 PM. Reason: add gas block comment.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Here is a link to PSA for the upper in 6.5 Grendel. I bought the complete EPT pistol kit with everything except a stripped lower.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-09-2020, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I'm useing a atlas s-one 7 inch on my 12.5 inch barreled grendel.

I don't like my gas block under the handguard.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

You can have brigand arms make you whatever length you want custom. They have mlok attachments that you can put on the handguard.

Comment

• RobertFL
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Thanks for the replies. I just checked out Brigand arms. Those are nice but at this time not what I'm looking for with this build. At this time I like the more straight forward basic style aluminum with Mlok and QD attachments.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Comment

• RobertFL
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Looks like I'm going budget build with this hunting upper... I was getting a headache looking at build parts...in a moment of cheapness I ordered a $70 hand guard. I ordered a standard Aero upper receiver, a tool craft BCG but will use the monster bolt, 5 inch KAK can since I don't have suppressor yet, superlative adjustable gas block and SS carbine tube. Already had an extra charging handle. I'm not sure if my friend who has the AR tools has time to lap receiver and help me assemble upper, he is with his wife 24/7 as she is in our thoughts and prayers. I hope to find someone nearby who might trade a hog hunt, frozen wild hog hams, steak dinner or a trip to the lake for their time.

Comment

• RobertFL
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

I have QD mounts on my other AR rifles. I'm going to Apply for a SBR stamp for this upper. Unless I find a pistol lower that I can live with. I have only held one so I don't know anything about them. I currently have 2 rifle lowers with Hogue grips and stocks.

Comment

• RobertFL
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

All the parts I ordered march 10th at 6 in the morning from 3 different vendors arrived today. That was some fast shipping! I ended up buying a Foxtrot Mike 10 1/2 inch hand guard, Gas block fit and had room under the hand guard.. . I still need to find a local North Central Florida guy to lap upper receiver and assemble the barrel to upper. I may pull the Bushnell 3200 Elite off of my old Hastings slug barrel, haven't shot it since 2011 and can use my 450 Bushmaster now if needed. I did a quick search saw a decent Nikon 2.5x10x42 that may work for me and is in my build budget.
                  Last edited by RobertFL; 03-13-2020, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• RobertFL
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

I found a local AR gunsmith who should be able to lap upper and install barrel, he has done some work for a friend and it went well. Meeting with him tomorrow. I am picking up a Core15 lower and SBA3 pistol brace tomorrow directly from Core15, they are pretty close to my house.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Let us know how it shoots when you get it together.

Comment

• RobertFL
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2018

I keep hoping some of the other GB guys would report results. Due to Turkey Hunting season I will not have access to my private 100 yard range till April 26th. I will have to use the Government owned Public range in the National forest and that one is not fun.. I hope the gun smith can assemble my parts in the next week. I decided to get a Pistol lower instead of the SBR stamp, I hope they can do my call in tomorrow, I hear its been busy lately with delays.. I have a CC license so there is no 3 day wait.

Comment

• RobertFL
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

Upper is together, scope mounted. I will get the pistol lower monday, they have to put it together monday morning. I just ordered a CMC flat 2.5 lb trigger and a Hogue grip, should arrive weds or thursday. **Edit**Got the Pistol lower Tuesday, CMC trigger and Hogue grip today (weds).. Not sure if the Public Rifle Range will be open. The County has shut down all the Parks and boat ramps, the range is on federal land.
                          Last edited by RobertFL; 03-25-2020, 09:48 PM. Reason: update..

Comment

• RobertFL
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

I'm done with this one until I can shoot it and see how it groups.. One of my friends has a buddy with a private 600 yard range that I might be able to use next weekend. I told him I only want to shoot at 50 and 100 yards.Grendelpistol.jpg
                            Last edited by RobertFL; 03-29-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Wellbornpapa
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2019

Looks good. Let us know how it shoots.

Comment

Working...
                              X