• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scottsmi
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2019

Converting A5H0 buffer to A5H2

Searched around and found some threads on this, but none quire answered my question.

I'm in process of building a lower for a Sanders 18" side charge upper. I want to use the A5 type buffer tube with (probably) an A5H2 buffer. The A5H2 is out of stock or backordered everywhere, and my patiance, which is not my strong point, is wearing thin.

So, what I'm thinking is buying 2 tungsten buffer weights from KAK and the intermediate buffer kit from BCM. I think that would have the advantage of letting me convert the buffer from H0 to H1 or H2 so that I could use whichever actually performs the best.

One question before I do this is whether the internal spring in the H0 buffer is the same as the one in an H2 buffer. Does anyone know for sure?

Anything else I should be concerned about if I go this way?
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Scott,

There's only one A5 buffer spring length for all A5 weights (or they would make this clear on their website).

Quick question...How do you know you need a H2 without having assembled the rifle and shot it?

The A5 is plugged on VLTOR's site as "Marine Corps" but that's just for marketing reasons. I also wouldn't automatically assume the military knows more than aficionado's on forums such as ours. I would pump all available extra money into a normal buffer with an adjustable gas. It'll do the same thing but with less faffing around when you want to change the system for different ammo or a suppressor. With the A5 on back order it will also be quicker.
    Last edited by Klem; 01-06-2020, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Yea just get a regular carbine or rifle buffer tube, whatever fits your stock of choice.

Drop in a stock buffer and spring that fits the buffer and save some money.

Comment

• Scottsmi
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2019

It's not the buffer spring I'm asking about, that's a standard rifle length spring. There is also an internal spring in the buffer itself. All of the A5 buffers have the internal spring regardless of the buffer weight, but I'm not sure they all use the same strength spring.

As far as the question on buffer weight, I don't know what buffer weight will work best. That's why the idea of being able to swap weights to get H0, H1 or H2 is appealing.

As far as going with the A5 RE, I'm convinced that it will be better than a carbine length buffer system for this rifle. I don't want to buy the carbine buffer length and wind up replacing it.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Scottsmi View Post
          It's not the buffer spring I'm asking about, that's a standard rifle length spring. There is also an internal spring in the buffer itself. All of the A5 buffers have the internal spring regardless of the buffer weight, but I'm not sure they all use the same strength spring.

As far as the question on buffer weight, I don't know what buffer weight will work best. That's why the idea of being able to swap weights to get H0, H1 or H2 is appealing.

As far as going with the A5 RE, I'm convinced that it will be better than a carbine length buffer system for this rifle. I don't want to buy the carbine buffer length and wind up replacing it.
          Grendel was designed from the ground up to work with standard carbine and rifle buffers and springs.

I use standard carbine, rifle buffers and their springs in both of my ar grendels.

So technically the a5 stove is not needed.

Comment

• Scottsmi
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2019

Thanks A5BLASTER. I do agree that either a carbine or rifle buffer system will work. I just think the A5 is a little better choice for this build. I'm sure that could be debated, but it's a decision I've made based on recommendations I trust.

My question is - if I modify the A5H0 buffer by swapping weights will the resulting H1 or H2 be the same as a purchased A5H2.

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

I have an A5, yes you are correct about swapping weights resulting in A5h1 or A5h2. The weight with the spring is steel in all models except the heaviest one A5H4 where it too is tungsten. I've swapped weights in mine a couple of times and so far have settled on the A5H2 at the moment and will say it is very smooth shooting in my 14.5" grendel. Be sure to insert the tungsten weights first, finishing up with steel weights with the one with the spring being the last to be inserted.

I used these weights as they had a nice rounded shoulder on them.
              Heavy Tungsten recoil buffer weights that serve as a direct replacement for the stock weights found in your AR15 carbine buffer tube. Get the H3 weight kit!
              Last edited by Lastrites; 01-07-2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Scottsmi
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2019

Thanks Lastrites. That's just the reassurance I needed. I'm trying to keep my spare parts bin (aka stuff I ordered that doesn't work) to a minimum. Thanks again!

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

Maybe it's the sum of the parts I chose but my carbine gassed 14.5" in my perception is considerably smoother shooting than my 16" odin intermediate adjustable gassed, regular carbine receiver extension rifle. Both have muzzle brakes as well if that matters and weigh almost the same. Yes it cost more up front so it's up to the individual if the juice is worth the squeeze and for me the more I compare to other rifles I use it really does seem to be making a difference. Would I buy another one if I was in the same position I was at the time of my build needing an entire assembly...very likely, but if I already had parts on hand then no I probably would not but I'm cheap like that at times.

Comment

• Scottsmi
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2019

I've looked around on several forums, and what you said is pretty much the consensus of the comments from people who have used the A5. I'm convinced it's more than a gimmick. Not a requirement certainly, but as you said I need the entire assembly, so it makes sense to go that way and the difference in price isn't all that much.

Comment

Working...
                    X