• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snell
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

source for short firing pins?

Well, another day at the range with what I thought was a fairly short mil-spec firing pin didn't go well. Hardened Arms shipped my upper with the short bolt and my mil-spec pins are piercing and doubling I don't really want to lay out the money for a new bolt as there is nothing wrong with the one I have (other then being short). Does anyone know of a source for short pins that will work in the short bolt? I'm reluctant to start filing away at the tip of my existing pins as I'm not sure I can maintain a smooth enough surface to avoid problems down the line. Thanks!
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

check with toolcraft
    i would wager that is their design.

they have changes it

or get a group buy bolt
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Get a group buy bolt.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Odin Works used that combination for long while, don't know if they still do.

My recent Toolcraft, measured out good.

Comment

• snell
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          Get a group buy bolt.
          makes better sense. Just got it done, thanks!

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

You can buy a stainless steel firing pin and just shorten it till your within spec., approximately .01”.

Here is a link for an AR-15 SS firing pin.

With a stainless steel firing pin you won’t have to worry about grinding through chrome plating on a carbon steel firing pin.

With a bolt length of 2.810” and a firing pin length of 3.2790” there is a .008” tolerance for firing pin protrusion. The longest pin I ever measured was 3.280” and most FP pins tend to be shorter than 3.279”. I haven’t seen a FP with a length as short for a .008” length (3.2790”-.008=3.2710”). Everything I read indicates the spec length of 3.2790” with a maximum -.008” tolerance. Most other AR-15 parts are +or- .001”, just not firing pins.

If you add 2.810” + 3.2790” = 6.089”. If your combined length is no higher than this number and with .008” your Firing Pin protrusion should be with in spec with 2.810” bolt.

With a 2.800” bolt and a firing pin length of 3.269” (2.800”+3.2690”=6.069) if your combined length is less than .008” of 6.069” you should be within spec of .028” minimum and maximum .036” FP protrusion.
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-28-2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

When did you get your Hardened Arms? I thought they went out of business. I got a 16" 5.56 upper and an 18" Grendel upper from them abot a year ago. Really like them and wish they were still around.
              I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• snell
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2018

I got my 18" Grendel upper from them just about a year ago as well. So far I like it but I'm still trying to find a load it really likes. The firing pin issue make be a contributing factor to unreliable results.. I have a group buy bolt on the way so I've got my fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                X