• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EastTexasAg
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2019

Pistol Build ideas?

So folks, total new guy here. I?ve never built an AR more than buying a complete upper and building a lower myself. That being said, I?ve decided I want to build a 10.5-12? Grendel pistol. I?m tired of toting my 24? monster anywhere but the bench. Lol. Anybody have any ideas or advice on the project? All I know is that it?ll end up with a thermal/NV just to knock down swine at a seconds notice day or night at this point.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Precision firearms is running a sale on short barrels. Call him up.

Comment

• Redomen
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

I used a complete aero precision kit with my 12.75” group barrel and have been very satisfied with it.

Comment

• wideglidejoe
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2014

I think you'll really like a 6.5 Gr pistol!! I used a Ballistic Advantage 12.5" barrel. Accuracy is good; ~1.25" using American Gunner & other Hornady factory ammo. Haven't had the time to try any reloads in it yet, but hope to soon. I had to drill the gas port out to get it to run correctly. It came with a .055" gas port per BA, they said they assumed everyone would use a suppressor on that 12.5" barrel, I don't. I measured it as .050". After I drilled it to .073" it runs like a champ. Gamma 6.5 VG6. Vortex 2-7x32. It's on a 80% lower I finished, Geissele S3G trigger with a Law folder and a Tailhook brace. It's my favorite AR right now. The lower used to have a 10.5" 5.56 upper on it, I still have that upper, but haven't used it in quite a while.

Comment

• danm
          Warrior
          • Aug 2014

My latest G has a 11.5" AA barrel and Aero builder kit with Strike Viper PDW brace... Works well

Comment

• Shooterrex
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2019

Built 1 with a 12in PSA barrel. Just killed a deer at 186yds with it.

Comment

• EastTexasAg
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2019

Originally posted by wideglidejoe View Post
              I think you'll really like a 6.5 Gr pistol!! I used a Ballistic Advantage 12.5" barrel. Accuracy is good; ~1.25" using American Gunner & other Hornady factory ammo. Haven't had the time to try any reloads in it yet, but hope to soon. I had to drill the gas port out to get it to run correctly. It came with a .055" gas port per BA, they said they assumed everyone would use a suppressor on that 12.5" barrel, I don't. I measured it as .050". After I drilled it to .073" it runs like a champ. Gamma 6.5 VG6. Vortex 2-7x32. It's on a 80% lower I finished, Geissele S3G trigger with a Law folder and a Tailhook brace. It's my favorite AR right now. The lower used to have a 10.5" 5.56 upper on it, I still have that upper, but haven't used it in quite a while.

Man, I wish I had the equipment to finish 80%ers myself. Just don’t have the tools/equipment yet. I’m about to pick up some 80% to sit on until I do though.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

My 12" using the group buy barrel. I'm going to change the scope though. Gibbz side charge upper. SBA3 brace.
                Attached Files

Comment

• BCHunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2018

So building an upper is simple just requires some tools, a vise, torque wrench. And reaction rod or bev block to hold the upper.
                  I switched out my vg6 brake for a linear comp, unless you wear hearing protection when you use it, the bark is fierce.

Comment

• EastTexasAg
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2019

Oh, the upper I can sort out. It’s the lower. I don’t have a press or anything. I’ll end up going linear, i can’t stand wearing ears. Lol

Comment

• EastTexasAg
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by wideglidejoe View Post

I’d like to see that. What’s your OAL on that one? I’m flip flopping between barrel lengths.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

Just for reference, my 12" with the SBA3 collapsed is 26.5" OAL.

Comment

• BCHunter
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2018

I'm confused on what you need a press for on the lower?
                          Roll pin starter, and punch set is all ive ever needed.

Comment

• wideglidejoe
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                            I'm confused on what you need a press for on the lower?
                            Roll pin starter, and punch set is all ive ever needed.
                            I think he's talking about tools needed to finish a 80% lower.

Comment

• wideglidejoe
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by EastTexasAg View Post
                              I?d like to see that. What?s your OAL on that one? I?m flip flopping between barrel lengths.
                              The LAW folder adds some length. Folded is 23.5", open/unfolded is 32". I like the LAW folder, I put it in a tennis racket case/bag and put it in the floor of my truck.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X