• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

SBR paperwork

OK...just gonna make the sbr myself...

I've seen various opinions on internet as to whether or not you need to "re-engrave" the lower with sbr info (mfg'r, caliber, city/state with your info).

Reading the instructions seem to indicate using the existing manufacturer and s/n...

Any guidance would be appreciated!

The ATF Form 1 instructions state:

i. Serial Numbers and other Markings. If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number . If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

OMB No. 1140-0011 (10/31/2013)
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

You enter the original manufacturers info on the form as per the instructions, but you also have to add your name, city, and state to the receiver as the person who is creating the SBR. It sounds misleading, but even though an AR15 lower receiver looks like parts--- it is already a firearm in the view of the law. You are in effect altering the status of an existing firearm (the lower receiver) into an NFA regulated device.

Example: If you were registering an Alexander Arms receiver as a SBR, you would put the following info in the boxes--

4a: Alexander Arms LLC
    Radford VA 24141

4b: Short BBL Rifle

4c: 6.5 Grendel (controversy-- I tried marking one as "Multi" for caliber and had it kicked back. I had to assign an initial caliber before they would accept it. I have since seen many lowers marked "Multi", and don't know if they will now accept that designation or not.)

4d: AAR-15

4e: 10.5"

4f: 27.5"

4g: GRENXXXX

4h: J. Q. Public
    Anytown, Anystate (this would be your info as the recreator of the weapon in it's SBR status)

4i: "Any Lawful Purpose"

That is just an example based off of one of my forms. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Variable; 01-23-2012, 01:36 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

If you are using a trust or corporation that name would go in 4h and on the rifle. The engraved name on the rifle can be abbreviated.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• texasgrunt

I would contact Chris Bass and ask him. He told me he would be happy to help with information on forms. Thanks for the advice on using him for my trust.

Grunt

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Last edited by BjornF16; 01-23-2012, 11:14 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Out of curiosity; what do the licensing fees run?

Comment

Form 1 SBR is $200 one time.

Comment

So if my request is approved and I pay the $200 ... then is it just a matter of buying the parts, engraving the receiver and building my SBR?

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Schwag,

The ATF has some funny rules. You'll need a lower to start the paperwork (original manufacturer, s/n). Fill out the paperwork and send in the $$$. Make sure you don't have a short barrel/upper in your possession. If you have the parts on hand to make the SBR without the stamp, that could land you in jail and large fines (not to mention your loss of gun ownership rights). Caveat to this is if you have a "pistol" lower...then you can have the shorter barrel/upper.

It is my understanding that you can have the lower receiver engraved before you get the stamp. Of course, this has been fiercely debated on the www, so I am not completely sure.

If you wait until you get the stamp, then you have to treat the lower as a NFA item (i.e. keep it in your possession/sight while being engraved or send it to a Class 3 engraver).

It is easier to get the lower engraved if it is "stripped" and would be less hassle if it is merely a "normal" lower receiver (vice a SBR lower).

Somebody please chime in if I am incorrect...

Comment

• texasgrunt

Scwag,

I hate to advertise any other website here, but one of the best interweb resources you will find is on ARF http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/50_Cl...Questions.html

You need to be sure you KNOW the laws before you venture in the NFA world. $200k and 10 years for a violation is serious. I would answer your questions if I were an expert, but since I am not I will leave that to others. I went the NFA Trust route. There are other avenues, but I thought this was the best for me and my circumstances.

Grunt
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2012, 03:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Good advice and thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X