• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bordercop
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

6.5 build for my 9 year old son

I will be building my first 6.5 Grendel for my son. I am asking for some advise for barrel length and barrel company. I have my eye on Bear Creek Arsenal on the low end and Dead shot Barrels on the high-end. So is there anything in between and what would be a good barrel length for my 9 year old? I thank you in advance for your input.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Definitely move your eyes away from bear creek, it is way too hit/miss on quality for you to throw money on it. Good midrange barrels if you want are Ballistic advantage (I like their fluted ones), Odin, Faxon gunner profile. Pair it with a decent upper and lower, BCM (they are a tight fit, may need to heat the upper to get the barrel to fit inside but that's ok), even regular u/l like stag or ballistic (again)... several flavors of mfrs to choose from.

Put the money and quality into the barrel, trigger and scope/mount, those are the keys to an accurate rifle.
    Length depends a lot on what the purpose will be, plus what can he handle as far as weight and kick (Grendel is mild but still it's a 9yo we're talking). I'd say a good general purpose barrel length for a 9 yr old (and even older) would be 16 or 18". Easily good for anything medium game out to say 200 yds even for 9yo.
    Joebob has some deals on free float HG's and also lpk's, and even triggers like CMC or Velocity (timney-like). Magpul CTR carbine stock.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Welcome to the horde by the way. If your screen name is attached to your occupation, we appreciate your service and work you do.

Comment

• Bordercop
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2017

Thank you sir, I do appreciate you help. Yes my screen name matches my occupation. 8 years to retirement. Looking to build a good hunting rifle for my son and enjoy great memories with him.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I agree with the other members on their suggestions. The cheapest barrel I would buy is a Group Buy Green Mountain barrel. As fast as kids grow up I would consider a 16” or 18” 6.5 Grendel AR-15 or a Howa Mini Action sold by Brownell’s. There are several stock options for the Howa actions sold by Brownell’s. I seriously looked at the 20” threaded Howa Mini Action but got a great deal on a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel.

I had 35+ years in LE and I hate to say it but the best part of my LE career is the retirement/pension. I enjoyed my time in LE but retirement is a whole lot less stressful.

Comment

• Bordercop
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2017

Thank you sir for your advice. I look forward to retirement. 22 years in and 8 to go.

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

You can't really go wrong with any barrel length to be honest. I would look at weight. Yes he will grow up but at 9 i would consider the 16" or even the 14.5" lilja group buy and pin a muzzle device on it. I like running my 12" and have completely stopped using my 16".

Comment

• BCHunter
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

Some states don't allow minors to hunt with pistols, so double check your regulations. As far as saving weight, barrel profile will effect weight more than length. The second biggest factor for weight is optics.

So I would look at 16" barrels, as far as manufacture. spend at least 200.00 on the barrel, ba, faxon, Odin, criterion, lija, jp, aa. Will all serve you well. Barrel is the last place to skimp on cost.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

I'm running 2 fluted BA barrels now, short-barrel weight with fat barrel stiffness. double win. 16 and 20 inchers.

Comment

• Bordercop
                    Unwashed
                    • Nov 2017

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

The bcg well work fine. You will just need to replace the 556 bolt with a grendel bolt that has the correct face depth for the barrel you will use.

Comment

• Bordercop
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2017

Thank you sir

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Bolts are a good news/bad news item.
                          Good news is a bolt with 0.136 face depth and uses a standard 556 firing pin. Bad news is other combo's, which unfortunately exist...

1. First Make sure the barrel is chambered for a bolt with a 0.136 face depth (this is deeper than a 556 boltface btw). I do not buy barrels chambered for the alternative (0.125) face depth. The barrel mfrs mentioned in the thread are all 0.136 style chambers I do believe.

2. Next, Don't get a toolcraft or BCA bolt....... they have made some non-std grendel bolts and firing pins in the past. Much better to get a name brand bolt with the 0.136 face depth, one that also uses a standard length 556/223 firing pin. Yeah the 0.136 non-std ones can work but later they wind up being a pain for you... better to avoid said pain.

if you stick to these comments then the only thing you need to swap out is the bolt (body/extr/ejector/rings) like A5 says.
                          Last edited by grayfox; 07-16-2019, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• Bordercop
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2017

Got it!

Comment

• Bordercop
                              Unwashed
                              • Nov 2017

Comment

Working...