X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

If the ASC mag feeds and does not have the Elander issue then it is the Elander. ASC may need some smoothing or inside the magwell, but it can identify if the Elander is causing your issue.
    ps, the cost or rep of a part does not impress-- if it is causing a problem, then fix it... another $0.02 from me.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• justonemorear
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2018

I have the same issue but only in a Savage bolt gun w/ ASC 10rd mags. No matter how many rounds always the last hang short of the chamber unless I single feed.
      An

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

The E-Lander magazine has a seam in the front where the mag is welded. If the seam is not straight or has poor quality welds this could cause the follower to bind. The poor mag seam alignment and welds seems to be the most common QC issue with E-Lander mags. If the E-Lander mag is faulty I suggest you contact the vendor and see if they will replace it. LaRue Tactical, Brownell's and Alexander Arms have replaced faulty E-Lander mags for forum members. The E-Lander mag springs are stiff when new. I always load my new E-Lander mags to capacity and let them set loaded.

Most 6.5 Grendel AR-15's will feed a few rounds out of a 5.56/223 mag. Several forum members have checked function using 5.56 PMags. If your AR-15 functions with 3-5 rounds out of a 5.56 PMag then you probably have a 6.5 Grendel mag issue.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

That's called a bolt-over-base Failure To Feed malfunction.

It's often caused by cyclic rate going too fast.

What gas port is on that barrel?

If there is any binding in the magazine, it sometimes is caused by metal burrs being left in the body, or burrs on the follower.

I always check my mags, no matter what type of firearm, looking for binding or sluggish follower lift.

Disassemble the magazine and try to see if anything is interfering with the follower lift.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• R2BRO
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

just an update here.

i bought CPD mag (26 and 5 rnd), havent tested the 26 yet, but tested 5 rnd mag. and all feeding problems gone. so it was an elander mag...

i noticed that when i push with finger plastic part inside of Elander mag, and slowly release..it gets stuck before coming back to original position...so i guess that is the reason for it to malfunction (cuz CPD mags didnt have such defect). reasembly of elander mag did not solve this. i even oiled it, same thing.

The thing is, first ~700 rnds that Elander was just fine, it happened later that it screwed up.
            so here is my theory: i believe that this plastic part which sticks out inside magazine just wore up.... thats it.

what do you think of the following proposal to improve lifetime of a mag: upon purchase, remove that plastic part (not sure about its name), and have it cerakoted, this will create protective layer and the plastic part will not get eaten up by metal over the time. then assemble,
            any thoughts?

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

After several hundred rounds none of my mags have this issue..... a new mag probably costs less than a cerakote job.
              I would speculate a bit and say there is some rough spot inside that might be binding or wearing out your follower... but having not seen it I would only speculate.

Anyway, toss it and get some mags that work. you're wasting good time chasing that rabbit.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I wouldn’t cerakote a magazine but I agree with grayfox. I wonder if the body of the E-lander mag has been dented or the seam has a bad weld and has started to separate or flex causing the follower to hang. If the E-Lander is defective see if you can return it for a replacement. The follower should slide smoothly in the mag body. I doubt if there is plastic left over from the molding process on the follower impeding it’s movement but is a possibility. Maybe the plastic has peened out on the follower and causing the follower to hang up.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

I had a burr on a weld spot at the rear of a mag (not elander) that was causing my follower to hang, not every time but many times. some sanding down of the burr and the plastic freed up fine -- that's my one story that leads me to suspect something similar for you. Or maybe there's something like Vascar suggests...

Comment

• R2BRO
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

alright i called brownells, even though i bought that grendel mag in May2018, they agreed to change it!

the 28rnd CPD mag was in stock for $5 less price that i payed for 24rnd elander. so i opted for that as a return!

I now have few ASC mags 25rnd, few CPD mags 26 rnd, one 5rnd CPD for target shooting, and will have 28rnd CPD. I need to work more on those mags and see what is reliable what not and where to put more money in future for mags.

Comment

• FemmeFatale
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
                      Attaching picture of a problem:

So i typically do 5 shots; i load 5 rounds in a magazine then usually after 3rd i have this problem.
                      So in the above picture, what happened is, previous round was successfully extracted, but when new one was about to sent to chamber, it stands 45degree and bolt slams on his body.

Build is my custom build but i used all top notch parts (anderson manufacturing lower is only one from cheaper brand, but that is 7075 stripped lower which i filled in with parts from aero precision and strike industries, so no BCA shit there)

So:
                      18" faxxon barrel MId system
                      Rifle buffer and spring
                      strike industries and aero precision lower parts
                      Elander 24 rnd magazine (or 28 rnd..dont remember, but Elander..)
                      Aero precision Upper
                      Odin Works 20-pos adj. gas block.
                      Toolcraft NiB BCG
                      The rounds are custom reloads, but they measure properly.
                      the BCG is well lubricated
                      the chamber was cleaned
                      brass ejects at around 4pm

I tried to give some more gas to adj. gas block, but that doesnt seem to affect it.

ideas?
                      Does your magazine have an anti-tilt follower? Problem could be as simple as that. I had that problem with my first AR build. Someone mentioned that to me and I replaced the follower on my mags with ones from Magpul (cheap to get) and never had the problem again
                      Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by FemmeFatale View Post
                        Does your magazine have an anti-tilt follower? Problem could be as simple as that. I had that problem with my first AR build. Someone mentioned that to me and I replaced the follower on my mags with ones from Magpul (cheap to get) and never had the problem again
                        Magpul doesn't make grendel followers. The pick is showing a bolt over base malfuction. That's normally caused by a gas issue of some kind.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                          Warrior
                          • May 2017

Might want to measure your gas port.

Comment

Working...
                          X