• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Faxon barrel + Toolcraft BCG "G" Gauge does not close

Darn im so tired of these "GO" gauge does not close problem.

I had shitty BCA barrel before and it was same but thats BCA. Now i bought 18" Faxon gunner 416 barrel for $230, and i got Toolcraft NIb BCG, and im using Manson gauges for 6.5G.

I did disassemble bolt before doing a check, and i cleaned everything including chamber.

I also use force of my finger to try close and not slam anything. in other words i believe all check was done properly.

but the fuckin thing doesnt close on GO, the good news is, it doesnt close on NOGO either, which is good.

so, big question: should i continue assembly and still try shooting or should i contact Faxon and ask for fixing barrel?
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

ok here are some additional details:

the reason i got toolcraft BCG is that standard BCG i bought long ago (maybe it was BCA as well?) got extractor broken after ~300 rounds.

i also found this thread:
    Does everyone here use go no go gauges when building AR 15's with mil-spec parts? I have never seen a you tube how to video where the gauges are used during the build process. Using type II barrel and type II bolt. Newbie to the forum. First Grendel build.

where some dude at the end was saying that problem was in toolcraft ramps or something..which is weird like how come Toolcraft didnt get that shit done right? anyway...

so what i decided to do now, is take that old bolt (with broken extractor which is removed anyway) together with ejector. And now after putting it and checking with Faxon barrel, i see that Go gauge closes! And NOGO does not close! So all checks passed!

so here is another option i consider, please tell me if its OK or BAD idea:

I will just reuse old BCA bolt, together with its firing pin, but with Toolcraft Carrier and Toolcraft Extractor. I just checked it, again it passes GO and NOGO checks.
    and later on, ill just maybe try another complete bolt maybe from JP or something, but as of now ill use above mentioned solution.

so what do you think?

(at this point i doubt that its problem of Faxon barrel)
    Last edited by R2BRO; 05-04-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• R2BRO
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

anyway , im reading from here and there, that the only check which matters is even Field gauge, but since my NOGO doesnt close, im already good and GO doesnt close problem can be ignored as long as the ammo which i use chambers fine. correct me if im wrong

Comment

• mtnlvr
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Sometimes it's nice to know how much wiggle room you have. I've got a set of shims from 0.001" to 0.015" that I can stack on the bolt face to see home much headroom I've got on a particular case before the chamber gets tight. You can get an idea how close the Tool craft setup is by taking a round or sized case that allows your extractorless and firing pi less bolt to close on, use a comparitor and get a relative base to shoulder measurement between it and the go gage. If the sized case is 0.003" shorter than the go gage, try fitting a 0.003" shim between the case and bolt face. Ideally the bolt won't close. Move to a 0.002", then a 0.001". It'll give you an fairly good idea how short your headspace is.

I'd say use the BCA bolt with the Tool craft carrier, or have the chamber reamed and get the Tool craft bolt to headspace, or just size and reload to the Tool craft bolt.

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

I had the same issue with a faxon match barrel and toolcraft bcg. No-go was good but go wasn't. But I emailed faxon and toolcraft. The culprit was the toolcraft bolt was slightly out of spec. So they replaced it and gtg

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

If the bolt didn't work twice i would start their. Have you measured the bolt face depth?

Comment

• R2BRO
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by mtnlvr View Post
              or just size and reload to the Tool craft bolt.
              ^^^
              that. i decided to go with full toolcraft BCG. no BCA. and will just reload for it (because to be honest ill be reloading anyway, and factory Hornady does chamber in toolcraft nicely)

Comment

• AeroFDE6.5
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2018

I guess I lucked out the first time out- my Faxon 20" fluted barrel and Nitrided Toolcraft BCG worked happily, Go and No-Go gauges did what they were supposed to do, and the combo works well.

Geno

Comment

Working...
                X