Re-Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Build

Last time at the range I sheared off one of the bolt lugs. So, now I'm loking for another bolt. Assuuming they are not all the same, I'd like all your input for a quality bolt. Also, I've never been able to get better than 1 MOA from this particular gun so I'm thinking about a new barrel too. I,ve read many times about using lock tite on the barrel extension and under the gas block. However, I just watched several tutorials, a few from very reputable sources, and none of them followed this procedure. What's your opinion.

Here is another thought: Currently this gun has a 24 inch barrel on a standard upper receiver. Could there be too much flex here to get any better accuracy from this rig? Should I consider a shorter barrel for this gun?

Thanks in advance,

Tikka
  • leopard6.5

Tikka: I would call AA and speak directly to Bill A.. He has been very available to speak with every time I have called and has been very willing to explain what and why when I asked him a question.

Some of the things Bill A. recommends are Grendel specific based on what he has seen through multiple years of testing the Grendel.

Yes there could be flex using the longer barrels or even a shorter barrel that is being pulled too hard with a forward grip.
    I've started to go with monolithic uppers on my short barreled uppers and have heard a lot of people recommend a billet upper receiver for the longer barrels.

Hopefully more people will jump in with their experiences to give you more opinions but in the mean time I would recommend having a conversation with Bill A..

Good luck.

Lee

Comment

Thanks for the reply. For now Im going to get another bolt so I can keep shooting. However, won't I need t have the barrel/bolt headspaced for proper function and accuracy?

Comment

• leopard6.5

Tikka: Is this a barrel and bolt you bought directly from AA?

If so, you should be able to buy another from them, either regular or hard use, and it should be headspaced the same.

But as I said before, you really should have a conversation with Bill A. because before you just replace the bolt, you should find out why the one you had broke a lug.

I bed my extensions with Loctite but I have no "proof" it helps. It just gives me one less thing to worry about.
        There is at least one post here recently where someone bedded their extension and it helped the accuracy of their barrel.
        Also, Bill A. had said he had seen a difference on some rifles when the extension and gasblock had been bedded even though it's not a common technique used on other AR-15's.

Good luck.

Lee

Comment

Thanks again for the reply,

This is not an AA product. I got this one (just the upper) from model 1. It is my first venture into the AR platform. I had some success with it. One of my loads was printing .568 at 100yds. with a shitty stock trigger. I like to do my own work so this is a good opportunity for me to get hands on and get more intimate with this platform. I'm picking up all kinds of tips from the guys here but I am also always careful of making a dangerous mistake.

Thanks again,

Tikka

Comment

.568 is a good group, on the bolt, I know Model 1 uses their own chamber, the 6.5 Sporter I'm sure if similar to other ones where the neck may be slightly longer, you may want to get a bolt from them so it headspaces correctly, i'm sure others will work, but not that familiar with the 6.5 Sporter, I have read reports of people getting their barrels (ER Shaw) to shoot well....

as for new barrels, if you want the most accuracy, go with a cut rifled barrel, a couple hundred bucks more, there are good ones out there like Satern, AA, Les Baer, etc., and some shops like Precision can provide barrels from Lilja, Kreiger, etc. AR Performance is also doing a 18" that should be in about a week, its a 264LBC type match chamber .297 neck and .264 leade diameter and standard 1.5 degree throat angle

Comment

elkbow,

Thanks for your help. I'm going to order the bolt from Model 1 since it is their chamber/barrel. While it's out of use, I want to remove the barrel and square up the receiver face. I plan to reinstall the same barrel using the loc-tite. However, I read somewhere that I will have to replace the barrel nut once the original is removed. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again,

Tikka

Comment

Working...
              X