• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vetman1
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Best Upper For Accuracy

What are the most accurate upper receivers currently being built?

Is it best to buy a matched upper and lower set if I want the best accuracy?
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Don’t think that anything more than a good fit between the two receiver halves will increase accuracy. As long as they meet a generally standard amount of play, they should be fine. As far as the best upper, so far I’d say either a BCM or Aero you build yourself should be more than capable of generating plenty of accuracy potential.

For the money, and for what you get, the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit is hands down the best deal going right now. If you go Black unassembled, then you can have the whole rifle at just under 1100 bucks. For an absolute top shelf rifle.

If I were putting together my own rifle again, and the LaRue wasn’t in the cards, I’d buy a BCM stripped upper, and their parts kits. Probably an Aero stripped lower, and their parts kit again. Ha Kreiger it shillen criterion barrel from PF, and build from there. I’d do a BCM carrier, and a group buy bolt. The rest is simple dressing alongside the main dish.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Money is no object...Proof Research CF barrel. Any upper can be made to work with a lapping tool, but Vltor MUR1, BCM, Aero will give you the best chance of zero lapping needed.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Vetman1 View Post
        What are the most accurate upper receivers currently being built?

Is it best to buy a matched upper and lower set if I want the best accuracy?
        Are you asking about accurate uppers or upper receivers?

As far as matched uppers and lowers go, you should be gtg as long as they’re reasonably snug. i have an upper which shoots 3/4 MOA day in, day out, and it does so on three different lowers. They key there is to have a decent trigger group for consistency.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• centerfire
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Based on my experience I'd look to Zev or 2A for a receiver set. Proof is an excellent value if you're focused on a high end custom barrel, otherwise PF has a good reputation albeit slow delivery times.

Comment

• DontWorryScro
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
            Based on my experience I'd look to Zev or 2A for a receiver set. Proof is an excellent value if you're focused on a high end custom barrel, otherwise PF has a good reputation albeit slow delivery times.
            I cannot for the life of me get PF to reply to either my direct emails or website comment submission. Trying to get a quote for a Bartlein set up with specifics. I hate phones but maybe time to get over it and actually call in. Wahh

Comment

• Drillboss
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

Break down and give them a call. Chances are that Mark will answer.

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

My choice right now would AP upper and a Bartlein barrel. Course I haven't seen what my BA will do right. Will find out next week.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by DontWorryScro View Post
                  I cannot for the life of me get PF to reply to either my direct emails or website comment submission. Trying to get a quote for a Bartlein set up with specifics. I hate phones but maybe time to get over it and actually call in. Wahh
                  What are you, a melinial?

Good luck with PF. I'd find another shop to cut your barrel, especially if you want it this year.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• DontWorryScro
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                    What are you, a melinial?

Good luck with PF. I'd find another shop to cut your barrel, especially if you want it this year.
                    I like email because all the facts and details and price quote is written out for you. no confusion. no forgetting anything. you can refer to it later yadda yadda.

Yea Ive already gotten a quote from Craddock. May just go that route since Bartlein themselves seem to endorse Craddock for cutting their blanks.

Comment

• centerfire
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

That is one of the reasons I went with Proof.

Comment

• Vetman1
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2017

Comment

• Crusty
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

Either a Larue or Odin will do nicely if you have the bucks.
                          Last edited by Crusty; 04-29-2018, 11:29 PM.
                          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Drillboss
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Vetman1 View Post
                            I originally asked the question to get everyone’s opinion on the best upper receiver. Researching upper receivers though shows not a lot of difference between complete uppers versus trying to build a complete upper yourself.

I like the idea of the Seekins Precision Upper IRMT-R UPPER series in that you do not have to lap the receiver face. There is a whole debate on what is best concerning lapping. Anyone built an accurate upper with this Seekins upper receiver?

Then looking at the “match” level uppers using Bartlein, Kreiger, or Lilja barrels there seems to just be Precision Firearms and Craddock Precision. Precision. Firearms is busy and probably for a reason.

Craddock appears to make really good .556 uppers. Has anyone had Craddock build them a complete Grendel upper? Do they guarantee sub MOA on their uppers?
                            I'll admit I may not have read every post on this thread, so this could have been covered, but your original question was what is the most accurate upper receiver. My opinion is that the barrel has a lot more to do with accuracy than the receiver does. Once you have your barrel, squaring the face and bedding the barrel into it should eliminate most of the variations between upper receivers. Granted, a billet receiver may be more stable and therefore more accurate than a forged receiver.

As far as barrels are concerned, I asked Mark at PF what he considered the most accurate option was of the barrels he offered, and he replied without hesitation that a Bartlein cut rifled barrel was the way to go.

I'm not recommending a vendor here, just sharing information that I got from someone who should have some insight into the question. That said, I do have a PF Bartlein barrel that shot 3 rounds (I think they were handloads, my notes are crap) into 3/4" at 200 yards. That was my only test at 200 yds, hope to have more this summer.

Comment

• centerfire
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

I've never seen a "AR builder" do something so magical that it warranted paying them instead of doing the job myself. I have however, seen some highly regarded builders turn out total crap. I'd much rather buy the parts and put it together myself. There are some excellent upper receivers out there, it just depends on how much you want to spend. Sometimes you get good milsepc receivers and sometimes you don't, I'd rather use billet from a recognized source.

Comment

Working...
                              X