Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneTower

Fluting a LW barrel

I have a 20" LW barrel that I am fairly happy with. The build weight of the rifle comes in at just over 10 lbs. I built the Grendel because I wasted a lighter AR platform for deer hunting than my Noveske AR-10 that comes in at 12+ pounds. The Grendel started out light but after I got everything bolted together, it too started to feel like a lead weight.

I found a guy who does lots of barrel and bolt (for bolt action rifles) fluting. He does this mainly for people who have heavy target barrels on rifles they use in the field for varmint hunting. He claims that in the hundreds of barrels that he has fluted, only 2 shot differently that before they were fluted.

I want a 20" barrel for the velocity or I would probably but a Satern. The Satern in a similar size is shorter and even though it is fluted, I believe that it is a larger profile to begin with so even if it was 20" I am not sure there would be any weight savings.

The gunsmith claims that he could remove 8 oz without any change in accuracy.

Satern also has AR barrels that are turned to a profile for carbon fiber coating, but I am not sure that I want to drop that many $$ on a barrel. I believe the carbon fiber cost $500 on top of the barrel cost.

It would cost me about $150.00 to have my barrel fluted.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

David
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Get it fluted and let us know how it works for you. It looks like your cheapest option.

Comment

• longdayjake

You have to ask yourself if half a pound is worth $150. If he could remove a whole pound then I would be more excited about it but half a pound doesn't seem like much. lets see what is on your rifle and you may be able to replace some stuff to get a lighter gun.

Comment

• StoneTower

The rifle has a 20" LW barrel with thread protector

PRI low profile gas block

JP Vtac rifle length FF tube (no JUNK or rails attached)

Magpul CTR stock

GG&G FLT 30 mm scope mount

Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 Tactical scope (I know the scope is heavy (17.3 oz) but it is not that much heavier than many others and has a great range of magnification.)

Magpul MIAD grip

Timney 4 lb trigger (AR10 version to match my other LARGER rifles)

What fluting will probably do is to bring the balance closer to my body.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Well, it would seem to me the obvious thing to do would be call LW and ask the questions you have to the company that built the barrel.

I have heard both sides of the argument that fluting a post production barrel can cause problems with it, and that it is no big deal, both sides from reputable manufacturers and gunsmiths.

I'm not sure what to believe, but if it were mine, I'd call the company that built it and ask!

Comment

$300.00/lb for metal shavings; hmmmm, maybe not.

Comment

i know satern had a 24 inch barrel in stock that was unfluted. I was going to buy it and have it fluted and they told me that once a barrel is finished they will do no cutting on it. So im having them build and flute me a 24. Given the reputation of Satern i would say fluting an existing barrel would be bad. But who knows. Hope this helps you out in your decision.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
                i know satern had a 24 inch barrel in stock that was unfluted. I was going to buy it and have it fluted and they told me that once a barrel is finished they will do no cutting on it. So im having them build and flute me a 24. Given the reputation of Satern i would say fluting an existing barrel would be bad. But who knows. Hope this helps you out in your decision.

Keith
                Woody at LW is of the same opinion - no fluting once a barrel has been finished. I ran into the same situation, and I ended up just getting a 16" 6.5G barrel with the standard AR-15/M-16 "Gov't" profile.

Edit: Doh - Sorry for grave digging. I didn't look at the last post date before posting.

Comment

Working...
                X