• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakegsxr11
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Maxim cqb pdw brace vs SB Tactical brace

I have thoroughly researched both of these braces and I like the maxim more. However I plan to build 2 pistols and only want one brace between the two. Do both these braces slide on to the pistol buffer tube so I could easily slide it off one gun and on to the other like a traditional stock? I realize the maxim requires a proprietary buffer and spring but could I just outfit both guns with those parts and swap the brace back and forth? Is this scenario possible with either brace?
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I got this one.

For the Maxim brace, both guns would need the buffer tube/buffer/spring assembly and what they call the CQB Housing. Here's the tube: https://www.maximdefense.com/product/cqb-buffer-tube/

Here's the spring and buffer:

They also offer a JP SCS.

And here's the housing:
    GEN:6 CQB HOUSING - Cutting-edge firearm technology and accessories from Maxim Defense. Built for precision, durability, and tactical performance in every mission.

And sorry, but I don't have any details on the SB.
    Last edited by Drillboss; 03-13-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Well the cost of the required maxim parts doesn't make this worthwhile, might as well get 2 complete braces at that point. Maybe the SB will work out better cost wise.

Comment

• cwlongshot
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

I have seen and handled both of these. I own the SB, mine are BRACES not stocks, but otherwise same same.

Yes the butt comes right off easily on the SB and what your proposing would work as you want. Now about the costs for the SB I cannot help ya, but as the Maximum is over 100$ more form the get go, I assume the pieces parts for the SB might be cheaper.

Good luck,
        CW

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Does the complete housing (where the 1/4" rods slide through) slide off the SB easily?

Comment

• cwlongshot
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

The castle nut holds it on. So yea, but you would need to also remove the buffer and spring...

The "butt" slides right out of the bracket by pinching the tabs.

CW

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I have both. They both have their own proprietary Receiver Extension Tube with integral castle nut machined into the body-one piece.

The RET captivates the stock/brace rod housing guide/locking mech.

Big differences:

SB Tactical uses a standard carbine buffer and spring.

Maxim Defense is shorter overall, allowing more compact profile. RET is shorter with a proprietary short buffer and spring included.

Maxim collapses shorter, and extends longer actually.

Maxim has QD sockets on the rod housing unit.

I got the Maxim braces on a special deal at SHOT and got as many as I could for forum members who responded in time before SHOT Show ended. They were about the same price as the SB Tactical brace, which was a killer deal.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Redomen
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Y’all have me considering a pistol build now. Not sure what to go with. So with the brace there is no need for a stamp? Is there a barrel length requirement? Gonna have to do some research I guess.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

No stamp, no barrel length requirement. But the lower has to have not been a rifle or purchased as a rifle.

Comment

• Les
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

I own the Maxim for a 12.7" group buy barrel, very nice brace only wished it fit tighter to the back of the lower. QD sockets are a nice touch. Very compact unit. No experience with SB's.

ETA: In the spirit of full disclosure the retaining pin holding back the buffer wasn't fully seated, it was preventing the buffer tube from moving forward enough to tighten it fully. I'd call it operator malfunction, this is indeed a quality product if you install it correctly.
                    Last edited by Les; 05-20-2018, 12:42 AM.
                    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Redomen
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

Guess I’m going to start looking for parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X