• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plt228
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

Which comes first? Cerakote or Truing?

I've never bothered with the steps on squeezing all of the accuracy out of a AR possible and I'm not sure which one needs to be done first. I've picked up a couple of BCM demo and Aero uppers to build with. My plan is a color code my Grendel rifles to keep separate from the 556s. Which do I need to do first? Truing or coating?
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Seems like you'd want to get the truing over with first, that may take some physical manipulation of the upper to lap the threaded end so get that all square before doing the cerakote. Maybe some others will chime in, the only cerakote I've done is to turn it over to the cerakote guys...
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Depends if you plan on cerakoting it after its put together or if you want to cerakote the individual pieces before assembly.

Comment

• 98Z
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

Cerakote goes on at 5/ten thou thick, unless you get real heavy with it. It won't affect any tolerances. You won't have any issues painting afterwards.

Comment

• plt228
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2016

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

I wouldn't use a drill. Lap by hand with upper verticle

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I personally true the upper face, then sand blast, and make sure to Cerakote the inside of the barrel extension tunnel in the upper.

After coating, I press-fit and bed the barrel and let dry vertically.

Loc tite can allow the torque to spin the extension a bit, unlocking it in relation to how the bolt lugs need to go in, so best to let it cure.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

LRR, when following the above procedures, do you find it worth roughing the inside of the extension tunnel to provide better purchase for the bedding material?
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                  LRR, when following the above procedures, do you find it worth roughing the inside of the extension tunnel to provide better purchase for the bedding material?
                  I usually am doing FDE, which has a very matte texture already, but you could rough texture the surface of a more satin finish if you wanted.

Some I've had to thermo-fit, which is even tighter, so it doesn't matter.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                  X