Clear All
  • Redomen
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Carbon fiber barrels

• Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Have not heard anything on BSF, $300 for a PR barrel buys you a track record of quality.

CF for a hunting rig seems excessive.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
      CF for a hunting rig seems excessive.
      Carbon Fiber wrapped around a hard steel tube is there very definition of excessive; thus, the very nature of a CF barrel is exposed for all of it's glorious overkill, in any application. However, if you can afford it, you won't be disapointed in it's ability to dampen vibration, cylinder swell, it's heat resistance, fatigue reduction, and reduced weight. Sounds like the future of lots of traditionally all-steel tubes. Meh.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

My 24" Proof CF 6.5 Creedmoor barrel is way more accurate than me - capable of bug holes. But what still amazes me is that it can't shoot anything bad. I'd shoot ladders over 3 grains in .3 gr increments and the worst charges would be 5 shots around 1.25 moa. people walk up to me at the backstop and say "wow, those are nice groups." I don't have the heart to say they're my throwaways. I honestly believe it is worth every one of 82,700 pennies.

I'm still waiting to hear anything about a BSF barrel. I didn't get their design at first but I think it's a way to make a stiffer light contour barrel. Whereas Proof is a stiffer, lighter, more thermally efficient heavy contour barrel - with a top tier tube cut through the middle.

And I of course always relish any opportunity to pimp this video:

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Show off!
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Redomen
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

Cool video! The BSF only touches the barrel at 4 points and has holes to cool quicker so I thought this might be better than a regular wrapped barrel. I do target shoot as well and I don’t like waiting for my barrel to cool when working up loads. So far the few reviews I have seen have been good. I realize they are fairly new so reviews have been hard to find.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

I don't know how they do it and they certainly aren't going to tell anyone, but the Proof CF has strands in it that actually draw heat away from the barrel and dissipate it. It cools faster than my 22" medium contour JP Grendel with the thermal dissipating fins - and I thought that cooled fast when I built it. And the CM is burning 35% or so more powder. I usually bring 3 rifles to the range and rotate to keep them cool, but the Proof is always ready to go again after just one rifle in between. CF has gotten a bad rap because it can act as an insulator and keep the heat in. Christensen's have a reputation for that and can exhibit quite a bit of thermal drift. They're popular in the hunting world, but you don't really see them in the target crowd.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Redomen
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Thank you for the info

Comment

• centerfire
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Redomen View Post
                  Cool video! The BSF only touches the barrel at 4 points and has holes to cool quicker so I thought this might be better than a regular wrapped barrel. I do target shoot as well and I don’t like waiting for my barrel to cool when working up loads. So far the few reviews I have seen have been good. I realize they are fairly new so reviews have been hard to find.
                  BSF has holes in the CF to dissipate heat (because the CF sleeve is insulating the steel liner) whereas the resin in the Proof barrel is more conductive than the steel liner. I'd buy a regular steel barrel before I bought the BSF. Proof has more going than just the CF, they make excellent steel barrels too.

Comment

Working...
                  X