• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 12Bravo
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Help with deciding barrel length. 18" or 20"

So I have been researching barrels for my first Grendel build. I think I have narrowed down to 3 barrel manufacturers, Odin, Faxon, or BA and that is also my order of preference right now.

So the other big question is 18" or 20". Initially I was going to go with a 20" but now thinking that 18" might be the way to go. I do want a relatively light rifle but it's not imperative. I also want to learn to shoot at the longer distances, 600+ which is why I was looking at 20" length.

From my research 18" barrels have intermediate gas tube and 20" are rifle length. The fps between the 2 different lengths is pretty small. So can anyone tell me which gas tube length might be better? Also, any other comments or suggestions are welcome.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

For me I'd likely go 20" as these Grendels seem to birth new off spring sooner than later as your future may hold wanting a lighter shorter barrel like a 16".

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

^^^ +1. I have 16, 18 and 20 and there's not much difference between the 18 and 20. That said a 16er will land at your house in the near future so the 20 would give you some differentiation..... 3 or 4 oz is not much of a weight diff. Get it fluted if you want.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Well I fell victim to black rifle desease and I bought a 16” 6.5 Grendel first then a 20” Shilen 6.5 Grendel. The forum started selling the group buy Faxon barrels and now I have another 16” and an 18” 6.5 Grendel. I keep telling myself it’s OK to have four 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s since I have three grandsons. Fortunately my son in law has his own 6.5 Grendel.

I hate to make predictions but if you hang around this forum very much you’ll end up with more than one 6.5 Grendel. I’m still resisting the temptation of buying a bolt action 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

I was in the same predicament 16" vs 18"; ended up going with an 18 inch.

Wife is ordering my new upper for Valentines today........ 16 inch or 18 inch the is the question I am having right now. I was planning on an 18 inch 6.5G as I already have a 20 inch Wylde and a 12 inch Wylde SBR right now but, found myself second guessing at the last minute. It will be used for hunting, bench shooting
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 12Bravo View Post
            So I have been researching barrels for my first Grendel build. I think I have narrowed down to 3 barrel manufacturers, Odin, Faxon, or BA and that is also my order of preference right now.
            All have been well reviewed, here in the forum. There is currently a group buy on the Faxon, so you may want to look at that.

So the other big question is 18" or 20". Initially I was going to go with a 20" but now thinking that 18" might be the way to go. I do want a relatively light rifle but it's not imperative. I also want to learn to shoot at the longer distances, 600+ which is why I was looking at 20" length.
            The correct answer is "Yes".

From my research 18" barrels have intermediate gas tube and 20" are rifle length. The fps between the 2 different lengths is pretty small. So can anyone tell me which gas tube length might be better? Also, any other comments or suggestions are welcome.
            I've read that MLGS on the 18" is sometimes tough to get functioning correctly. With that in mind, I would suggest RLGS for either, if you have the option.
            In addition, as others have indicated, you should prepare a space for more than one Grendel. They tend to multiply.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Friggin tribbles, man. TRIBBLES!
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• BCHunter
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

What is the primary use for this grendal? If it will be range get the 20, if your hunting and carrying a long way get the 18, your splitting hairs over a few ounces and fps one way or the other.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Get the 20". The AR-15 was originally designed around the 20" and just feels right at that length. Lightweight version.

Comment

• 12Bravo
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

I thank everyone for the information and a few laughs. It's also nice to be part of a group that has members that are willing to help others with such important decisions. Kudos to everyone!
                    I pretty sure I'm going with the 20" now with the mfg....Odin, Faxon, or BA. Leaning towards the Odin that come ls with the BCG and gas block plus I'm an Idahoan and like the idea of using parts made in Idaho. My lower for this build was made in ID but going to use an Aero enhanced upper and rail. Someday I'll make a rifle completely out of components made in ID.
                    I live in Lewiston which is home to Seekins, we also have a Speer (Vista Outdoors) bullet mfg plant, and to top it off Nightforce is 40 miles to the east of me.
                    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
                    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I just bought a 20" Ballistic Advantage DMR fluted barrel and so far it is GTG.
                      I just posted about my first shots with it today on this site.
                      I even posted pictures.

Speer makes great no nonsense bullets.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                        I just bought a 20" Ballistic Advantage DMR fluted barrel and so far it is GTG.
                        I just posted about my first shots with it today on this site.
                        I even posted pictures.

Speer makes great no nonsense bullets.
                        The man brings up an excellent point. It is the clanly way to post trophies. IOW - without the pix, it didn't happen. You may want to tool up your picture taking / posting skills to allow the Horde to follow your progress visually.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                          The man brings up an excellent point. It is the clanly way to post trophies. IOW - without the pix, it didn't happen. You may want to tool up your picture taking / posting skills to allow the Horde to follow your progress visually.
                          Yes. Without evidence, who knows.
                          I think I've read where someone said you could shoot a 0.5 inch group at 10 yards and claim it was shot at 100 yards.
                          I don't do that cause I could never convince myself.
                          VASCAR suggested Flickr for photo posting and it works great; nice big pictures, inline.

Comment

• 223kev
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2018

Sounds like you have decided on the 20" barrel. I've got an 18" Faxon barrel with the gunner profile and it weighs in at 1 pound and 12 ounces on my kitchen scale. It looks to be well made but I'm waiting on more parts to come in before it gets to roar and reveal its potential.

Comment

• Schrambo
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2016

Weather permitting, I'm hopefully going to shoot the 18" Faxon GB and 20" Faxon Heavy Fluted (Non-GB) barrels tomorrow... Mostly 129 SST and ABLRs, and along with a Savage MSR-10 6.5 CM Hunter, same bullets, but with an OCW for the 6.5CM round robin and some Factory American Gunner 6.5CM 140grs... Well see how it goes with weather coming in...

Been a long cold winter with little trigger time...

Comment

Working...
                              X