• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rovpilot337
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Help me choose a new barrel

Ok, I have been lurking for a while and finally put together a couple 6.5 Grendels for myself and my son. I am and have been for a while mostly a precision bolt gun shooter. I have assembled many Ar's chambered in 5.56 for friends and for myself but this is my first 6.5 Grendels. I wanted them mostly for hunting out to about 100 yards max since my deer lease is mostly wooded. I will occasionally stretch them out to 600 yards for fun but they will primarily be for hunting. I have one with a 20" Radical Firearms upper that I picked up very cheap. The other is an Anderson upper and lower with a 18" BCA Hbar barrel. Like I said both of these were put together with parts that either got dirt cheap or traded for. I had to leave for offshore before I could do any accuracy testing. They have both been function tested however. They may shoot great the way that they are but, in the case that I am not satisfied, or I just feel the need to upgrade, I would like some advice on picking between barrels from Odin Works, Faxon or Ballistic advantage. I have been reading on this forum for a while now and it seems that you cannot go wrong with either of these but I just need help making a decision. I do not have a need for the upper tier T-box, Bartlien, Krieger or Lilja. They are all about the same price, and I am not worried about the weight. I actually prefer a little more meat to the barrel since I will walk a very short distance into a deer blind. Thanks in advance for any insight or help.
    Last edited by rovpilot337; 03-01-2018, 06:12 PM.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Between those 3 options the group buy faxon barrels would get my vote.

Comment

• BCHunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2018

It basically comes down to budget or what deal you fine, love my 18" Odin but have nothing to compare it to. Weight and balance is perfect for my type of hunting of 30 to 45 minute walk to stand with shooting rails. I'm debating between the group buy 16" and BA Hanson profile 16" for by second build for a slightly lighter package for busting thicker brush or occasional drive scenario.

The Odin package comes with BCG, gas block and gas tube. So take that in consideration when pricing, were the group buy is just the barrel.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

The group buy Faxon 16s and bolts will make you very happy I think.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• rovpilot337
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2018

Originally, I was leaning more toward the Ballistic Advantage but I am now starting to lean more toward the Faxon.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Read about them. Not necessarily here, either. Look around. All makers have had hiccups and issues at one point or another, but so far, for the most part, both of those are good barrels. The GB is just less money out of your pocket. As in all things opinion, everyone has one, so here - a grain of salt.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LW1179
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2018

I just picked up a 16” BA premium series fluted from Granite Ridge for 20% off. I was trying to decide between from Odin Works and BA for a while (both guarantee 1 MOA) but ultimately decided that the reduced weight of the fluted fit my needs the best and the sale price was an added bonus.

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

Got the BA 20" DMR was leaning toward Faxon but from I could find BA was a better deal. Also found some less than complimentary comments about Faxon. But I am sure they are good barrels. In the package was a Toolcraft NiB BCG, gas block and tube. Shipped today ordered yesterday.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Popeye, don't know if this was covered in another thread, but keep the toolcraft bolt and firing pin together as a unit. Those 2 pieces are different lengths from what is a standard grendel setup. They work fine together but it is a case where if you need to replace either the bolt or the firing pin, again keep toolcraft paired up. the rest of the bcg parts are interchangeable.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• rovpilot337
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                    Got the BA 20" DMR was leaning toward Faxon but from I could find BA was a better deal. Also found some less than complimentary comments about Faxon. But I am sure they are good barrels. In the package was a Toolcraft NiB BCG, gas block and tube. Shipped today ordered yesterday.
                    Where did you order your parts from?

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

It will stay together if I switch out Bolt and Carrier will go as one. More than likely stay in that upper since it is headspaced to it.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Monmouth and they are selling out fast. Called BA to get pricing they were out of gas tubes so went back to Monmouth. Still need to pick up an upper and handguard that will be next month. You might check this place out. May get the upper combo from them. https://bkingsfirearms.com/

Comment

• 12Bravo
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2017

I am also looking at barrels and recently purchased a bolt via the group buy, Millennium Mfg. By the way the bolt looks awesome and beautiful finish. That bolt has a .136 depth but some of the barrels I see say SAMMI spec. From what I understand a SAMMI spec is for the .136 bolt correct?
                          Also, in regards to barrel style lightweight vs. heavy. Is there anyone that prefers one over the other for longer range shooting? I've heard and read that is seems like heavier barrels are used more in match shooting. One reason I am building the Grendel is because it is a lighter weight rifle that gives the ballistics of some heavier caliber rifles. So weight is somewhat of an issue but wouldn't stop me buying a Hbar if it means better performance at longer distances.
                          I've been looking at BA, Odin, and Faxon barrels.
                          "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
                          - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

18″ 6.5 Grendel Bull Stainless Steel Profile – Bull Chamber – 6.5 Grendel (Compound Throat (SAAMI Spec) .125 Bolt Face Depth) Barrel Thread – 5/8×24 Barrel Twist – 1×8 Lands and Grooves – Barrel Steel – 416R Stainless Steel, Non Fluted Barrel Finish Stainless Steel Barrel Lining – Fluted – No Gas System – Mid […]

Comment

• 12Bravo
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2017

Thank you Vascar2. I found a Faxon match series, 20" HBar fluted that I like quite a bit. It says .136 Co-bore on bolt. Is the Co-bore just a mfg of bolts or something else?
                              Last edited by 12Bravo; 03-04-2018, 03:45 AM.
                              "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
                              - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

Comment

Working...
                              X