where can I get a 16" Grendle barrel with carbine length gas port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can I get a 16" Grendle barrel with carbine length gas port?

I'm taking the plunge in the 6.5 world and I want to build an AR to hunt with, and have decided I want a 16" barrel with carbine length gas port.

Welcome.

The Grendel produces significantly more gas impulse and volume than a 5.56 AR, so I would personally advise against a 16" barrel with a carbine-length gas system. The 16" Mid-length Grendel, which I have, runs very well with a broad range of loads and bullet weights in my experience.

Not only is the carbine-length gas system ill-suited for the 16" Grendel, but for a 16" 5.56 as well. The carbine-length was originally introduced with the Colt Model 607 Commando, with a 10" barrel, which was found to not have enough dwell-time to be reliable. The same issue plagued the next commando, the Colt XM177E1 Commando, leading to the introduction of the 11.5" XM177E2, with a baffled moderator to help with dwell time/back pressure.

In the 1970's, the Special Operation's Community settled on a 14.5" Colt Model 653 carbine with carbine-length gas system, which carried onto the 700 series carbines (723, 727), and 800 series carbines (M4A1, M4, etc.)

The 16" barrel and carbine-length gas system is a product of compliance with the 1934 NFA laws, which are arbitrary, and the 16" civilian carbine with carbine gas is a genetic defect in the AR15 family, but probably the most popular configuration.

If handguard selection is the driving force behind your desire to have a CLGS, there are gazillions of handguards available in all sorts of lengths, and longer is much better on a 16" barrel anyway.

Comment

yes, I did base that on the handguard - I planned on using a PRI genIII carbine FF tube. Now, Im also doing an 8" subsonic/canned 300blk and planned a spikes BAR for that - guess I can swap the 2 though, and go with 16" mid on the grendel.

But I did find a 16" carbine gas sabre barrel.

Comment

I prefer rifle-length hadguards for 14.5"-16" barrels, or longer, as with the 13" Troy TRX handguards. PRI makes different length float tubes. In my opinion, a carbine-length handguard should really be considered with 10" barrels meant for use as car guns, and even then, I would prefer a mid-length tube with a micro suppressor.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have a 16" 6.5 Grendel with CAR handguard and have had no functioning problems. J&T sells Shaw barrels and they offer the CAR length setup.

Comment

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            I have a 16" 6.5 Grendel with CAR handguard and have had no functioning problems. J&T sells Shaw barrels and they offer the CAR length setup.
            And I have plenty of 5.56 carbines with CLGS and 16" barrels, but they need to be balanced properly, and they are harder on the gas ports, meaning you will see earlier gas port erosion, and a beating on the operating parts. Who knows how this will manifest over time with a Grendel 16" CLGS? I guess you'll let us know...

Comment

Working...
            X