Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

realistic expectations

Just finished a grendel using a satern 18 inch barrel... vltor mur upper, troy free float handguard, vltor a2 flash hider...

What kind of accuracy is realistic to expect from this rig with wolf 123 grain bullets?

Thanks.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

With Wolf 123 soft points? Expect around 2-3 inches at 100 yards. The soft points are perhaps the least consistent Grendel ammo ever made.

MOst guys shoot it simply to have some brass or as plinking rounds.

Comment

Never shot wolf and i dont think i will but with factory Hornady 123's i was able to get betweem 1/2 to 1 MOA at 100. With a few 3 shots at a 1/4. Awesome factory ammo.

not too bad of a price at 18 bucks for 20. The cabelas near me sells it 26 a box!

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Sir, welcome to our electronic campfire. I have been reading good reviews on this Wolf Ammo.

I bought three boxes and shot a few and they really do perform well.
        They are 120 Grain and not a soft point. They have a sweet little hollow point.
        Give them a whirl.

First 12 sight-in shots from the 6.5 Grendel.*I know the range wasn't out at 100 yards, this was just my first 12 shots after boresighting to get it on paper.
        25 Yards.*
        Group 1 / 2 shots
        Group 2 / 2 shots
        Group 3 / 4 shots
        Group 4 / 4 shots
        Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Texas Sheepdawg,

There are 2 Wolf Grendel loads available, a 123 soft point, and 120 MPT. There is a HUGE difference in the two. The MPT is an excellent plinking round, and serves well for hunting small and even medium game. It is fairly accurate, and groups well, sometimes very well, at 100 yards.

The 123 soft point is a different ball game. It is not terribly accurate, relatively dirty, coppers the barrel, and really is the least desirable of all the factory loads ever offered for the Grendel. Its ONLY redeeming quality is that it is cheap. (Well, I guess you could also say that the brass can be reloaded!)

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Well that explains my poor accuracy. Its obvious i have to bite the bullet and get some real brass and reload. Thanks

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
              Well that explains my poor accuracy. Its obvious i have to bite the bullet and get some real brass and reload. Thanks
              GG:

If you have 100 or more of the 123 Wolf garbage, pull the Wolf bullets and seat some good 120 or 123 grain bullets in their place. I would do it with any number of the Wolf 123 grain Soft Points but I have a couple of bullet pullers and plenty of choices for bullets.

It is the bullet on those loads that are lousy, not necessarily the brass or powder / powder charge. Remove the bullets, seat some decent bullets in their place, and you won't have the fowling or accuracy problems guys experience.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
              X