• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

Who can finish ream my barrel?

I have an 11.5" Black Hole Weaponry barrel that is set up for a 0.136" bolt face (so BHW Type II) but has a 0.295" neck like a .264LBC.

It works very well with brass cased Grendel ammo but does not like the steel cased Wolf. I'm guessing the tight neck is causing my extraction issues with the Wolf ammo.

Does anyone know someone that can finish ream this barrel to true SAAMI Grendel specs? I thought Precision Firearms used to do this but I know they are WAY backed up. Of course, if the service is more than, say $70, I'd probably just buy a new barrel...

Thanks!
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

.295 is within spec
    saami shows min neck as .293 with max as .300
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

No, SAAMI shows min chamber neck as 0.3" with max of 0.302".

Max cartridge neck is 0.293".

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

read it wrong
        yeah .300 + .002
        so .300-.302

with cartridge .293 -.008

so a .295 should theoretically work

whats the ammo measure at?
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• m796rider
          Warrior
          • Jul 2011

Steel does not spring back like brass after being fired, so a .295 neck is an impediment to reliable extraction. I'd like to get it to .300 with a finish reamer if possible.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

...that can finish ream this barrel to true SAAMI Grendel specs?
            Negative, Ghost Rider.

While you can open the throat up, you will most likely not end up with the true SAAMI throat, with the signature compound throat.

You, yourself, identified which chambering your rifle has. BHW has been making .264 LBCs for several years, now. Only once that I remember have they cut a true Grendel chamber, and that was for a very limited run (< 100 bbls?).

I believe there are a couple of finish reamers floating around the board (LRRPF52 has one). I'd message him, or wait for one of the other keepers of the sacred reamers to chime in.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• m796rider
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              Negative, Ghost Rider.

While you can open the throat up, you will most likely not end up with the true SAAMI throat, with the signature compound throat.

You, yourself, identified which chambering your rifle has. BHW has been making .264 LBCs for several years, now. Only once that I remember have they cut a true Grendel chamber, and that was for a very limited run (< 100 bbls?).

I believe there are a couple of finish reamers floating around the board (LRRPF52 has one). I'd message him, or wait for one of the other keepers of the sacred reamers to chime in.
              Yeah, I'd settle for a .300 neck and whatever throat BHW put on my barrel. Shooting Wolf steel cased, I'm not sure it matters that the barrel will not have the compound throat... I'll message LRRPF52.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                Warrior
                • Apr 2011

We will do it too. Turn around time 2 weeks.
                Cost $75 includes shipping back.
                "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                X