Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backyardsniper

my first grendel

I have put together a few ar,s in the past and i was almost dead set on putting a 260 upper on my current lr308 lower. However i made a trade with a buddy of mine for a stripped 15 lower, and i have been eyeballing this round or a while. I do a lot of target shooting and i would like a round capable of taking medium size game. whitetail antelope hogs, and such. Is this round capable of that, what are the realistic ballistics of this round. What is the necessary barrel length to get optimum performance. I will most likely put a magpul prs on the rifle i am a big fan of that stock. Also any info on what dies actually work best. WHat uppers and barrels are preferable as far as brands. I will most likely buy a complete upper. I will probably go with the geisselle sde trigger. Any info from you guys would be great
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm sure others will chime in but here is my opinion if you are going to hunt and still want to do long range shooting a 20" barrel will keep most of the 120 to 123 grain target bullets supersonic past 1000 yards. If your not going to shoot past 600 yards you could probably get by with a 14.5 or 16". There are a lot of people using 16 & 18 inch 6.5 Grendels for hunting so any longer barrel is just going to add length and weight. If your hunting from a blind you can probably use a 20 to 24" barrel whereas hog hunting on the ground I'd want a faster handling lighter rifle. In my opinion a 6.5 Grendel should be able to take game out to at least 300 yards if the shooter can make the shot. Energy of the 6.5 G is comparable to a 6.8 SPC and can deliver close to 1000 ft lbs of energy to close to 300 yards depending on barrel length. A lot of good reports on Barnes 100 and 120 TTSX plus good reports on 123 grain A-Max for deer and hogs. There are reports of good success using 120 grain pro hunters, Nosler partitions and other 120 grain like Speer hot core and Remington core lock hunting bullets. I haven't shot anything but varmints with my 16" 6.5 G but I'm supposed to go hog hunting next Feb. and I'm taking my 6.5 G.

Comment

Working...
    X