Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resevoir Dog

Newbie Builder looking for some direction

Looking forward to building my very first AR. I have been combing alot of different forums on here. I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to build one. I have access to more than enough tools and mills, being a toolmaker machinist. I'm just a bit confused on my combinations for an AR i have in my head. I already purchaced the lower parts.Reciever will be a Spikes stripped and Ill put PSA MOE LPK in it. seems like a basic plan for that. For the stock parts Im using Spikes Mil spec 6 position tube with the ST-T2 buffer. As for the stock its a Magpul ctr stock. Here's where im kinda drawing a blank.. Is this starting lower combo only used on carbines? And what determines a carbine? Is there a barrel length limit for that? My dream is to build a Deer killer and a tact driver at the range. I thought a 6.5 grendel upper with a 24 inch barrel from A Arms or should I stick to an 18 incher? Will my lower be ok with that upper combo? Or do I need a rifle stock instead of that adjustable one? I dont want to get to far ahead of myself but want to know what in store for me. BTW this site ROCKS!! Awesome people with info to share! Kudos.

No the stock and lower receiver you have planned will work with any AR-15 variant you wish to use. The carbine is in reference to where on the barrel the gas port is drilled in the barrel. There are 3 locations that are commonly used to drill the gas port carbine length, midlength, and rifle length. I am not sure of the exact dimensions of where they are drilled on the barrel. [/COLOR]No barrel length restrictions that I have every seen for carbines but most longer barrels will either be midlength or rifle length. I remember that when the grendel came out they were optimized for a 24" barrel but not sure if that is still the case.As long as you take care to cut weight where you can, fluted barrel, lightweight handguards etc, you should be fine. There are so many stocks out right now you need to look around for whatever catches your eye.I have a 5.56 AR with a MOE stock on it, which is dimensionally the same as the CTR and love it for a carry around gun but I have found the the cheek weld is less that optimal for a rifle using a scope with a quick disconnect mount. I am researching a Grendel build right now like you and will probably go with either a Magpul ACS or PRS.

Comment

• Resevoir Dog

Jman, thanks for the reply on the info. I thought that I would keep the build to a 18 in barrel. Like you said, trying to cut weight. I did see some other stocks with alot more adjustments in the cheek area but costed more, of course. Good luck on your build.

Comment

Working...
      X