Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Getting ready to assemble my first upper

Parts I'm putting together:

ODIN 20" barrel
    Aero precision enhanced upper
    BCM rifle length gas tube
    ODIN low profile gas block

I've done a lower before but not a upper. I've watched billions of videos on YouTube. I just have a couple of questions:

1. Is it better to grease up the portion of the barrel that goes in the reciever or bed it with locktite?

2. I set a lot of people setting the torque to 35 ft/lbs on the barrel but, I don't see anything from either manufacturer. Thoughts here?

3. I saw one guy start his barrel but and back it off three times on putprose before torquing it down. Thoughts?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I used blue Permatex thread locker on the barrel extension before inserting into the upper receiver which had been lapped. I put anti seize on the upper receiver threads before putting on the barrel nut. I torqued my barrel nut down then backed off and re-tightened three times. I use whatever torque necessary over 35 ft lbs to get gas tube alignment.

My last build barrel nut did not reguire the gas tube to go through the barrel nut so I just torqued the nut down to get proper alignment of the hand guard rail to the rail on the top of the upper receiver.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-01-2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

+1 on vascars reply. He pretty well covered it.

Richard
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• gltucker
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2017

Awesome thanks. I did find something on Aero's site that I need 50lb on their barrel nut. Awesome! Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Working...
        X