Make your own receivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your own receivers?

An idea popped into my head, well it's more of a question.
    This probably wouldn't work but if someone had AR upper and lower receiver molds, would it be possible to cast your own upper and lower receivers by melting down aluminum and pouring it into said molds? would this work if the molds were the right dimensions? I don't think it would, considering that the aluminum most likely wouldn't be the "aircraft" grade aluminum used in actual receivers.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Receivers are not molded, they are forged. Molded aluminum would not hold up very long. It would be possible to mold receivers if you properly heat treat them but it's not practical. If you want to "make your own" you can get partially finished forgings and finish the milling your self.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

ah, okay

thank you

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Some receivers are cast, but they are regarded as inferior to forged. Like Txgunner said, you can get one that is 80% complete and finish it yourself, but with the prices of good, finished lowers right now it isn't at all worth the trouble.

You can even get a forging that isn't finished at all, but unless you're an experienced machinist don't even bother.

Keep an eye on this website.. http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/

They occasionally have good sales on lowers. Last time they were on sale they were $57 shipped. Then just add your local FFLs fees. Really good price. Right now they're still only $80. Other places may have good deals as well.

Will

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

The only advantage I can think of to finishing out your own lower is that there is no serial number on record anywhere. If you are in to the black helicopter conspiracy theories, etc. it might be worth the trouble for ya.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

Originally posted by Clod Stomper View Post
            Some receivers are cast, but they are regarded as inferior to forged. Like Txgunner said, you can get one that is 80% complete and finish it yourself, but with the prices of good, finished lowers right now it isn't at all worth the trouble.

You can even get a forging that isn't finished at all, but unless you're an experienced machinist don't even bother.

Keep an eye on this website.. http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/

They occasionally have good sales on lowers. Last time they were on sale they were $57 shipped. Then just add your local FFLs fees. Really good price. Right now they're still only $80. Other places may have good deals as well.

Will
            Thank you, but I was mainly asking about cast receivers out of pure curiosity.
            If I was going to buy one, I would probably just do it at my local gun show.

-Brodady

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
              The only advantage I can think of to finishing out your own lower is that there is no serial number on record anywhere. If you are in to the black helicopter conspiracy theories, etc. it might be worth the trouble for ya.
              I did that........................ not for the lack of Serial Numbers or Black helicopters It was simple for me. I wanted MY name and address on my rifle and it 's serial number is my CMP number so it is actually one of a kind and extremely simple to track down if stolen unlike a store bought that I forgot or can't find my serial number on.
              I used the 80% milled billet receiver from Yellow Logic... cost wise it is cheaper to just buy depending on the vendor you chose, pride wise is I actually built /machined mine. is it in spec yeah it definately is

p.s. TX I did not take your post as an offense as there are some that subscribe to what your post is stating simply stating why I did that route
              Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2011, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Another reason to start with an 80% (besides avoiding the black helicopters that track your CC purchase online anyway), is to do any mods or custom engravings you may want. I like to generously funnel my mag wells, but I don't like removing the surface hardness provided by the anodizing. If you start with an 80%, you can do all your mods, engravings, then send it off or home-anodize it.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

No offense was meant- my black helicopter comment was tongue-in-cheek. That's the problem with text lacking emotion. Maybe I should use more of these smiley things.

Comment

I never once got the impression that you were being serious or paranoid...what have we got to be paranoid about? We have AR-15's!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                      No offense was meant- my black helicopter comment was tongue-in-cheek. That's the problem with text lacking emotion. Maybe I should use more of these smiley things.
                      I didn't take offense at alll....... nor did I think you meant so, and took the comment as a tongue in cheek much like my zombie bullets and alien bullets I have stocked up LOL which is why I said no offense taken in the P.S.

Comment

Working...
                      X