Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Grendel project

Hello all,

After many off-and-on months of research into cartridges, platforms, etc. I have finally decided on the 6.5 Grendel. My dream is to own a reliable, portable, accurate rifle for a SHTF / zombie apocalypse scenario. When imagining my zombie apocalypse and the required firepower to combat said flesh-mongers, I like to imagine 28 Days Later zombies, as they are infinitely more worrisome to me than Walking Dead zombies. But I digress.

Budget isn't really an issue, however please take that with a grain of salt. Bang for the buck is what I'm after, and I'd like to keep it under $2500 after everything is said and done.

I am familiar with the M4 platform from my stint in the 82nd Airborne, however I'm not inclined to buy the tools and truly build this from scratch. I'd rather drop in a trigger assembly, attach the stock to the lower, throw the pins in, and presto chango.

As stated earlier, I'd like this to be solid from a SHTF perspective, but realistically, it's going to be a plinking / varmint rifle most of the time. With that in mind, I'm considering receivers from Loki, Precision Firearms, and AA. I don't know a whole lot about trigger assemblies, your infinite wisdom would be appreciated.

What do you guys think about my thoughts so far, how would you proceed? I'm a cherry in the civilian firearms world, and would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions about how to build this rifle.

I don't have anything picked yet in the way of lowers, bcg, optics, etc. Please don't flame me, I've been digging through the "Newbie with questions on first build" thread started in March, I just wanted to get some other opinions since he was aiming more at long range hunting and I'd like something a little more battle rifle / SHTF oriented.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

UPDATE:
    This is the setup I'm looking at:
    Templar Custom lower, AA GSR upper, Geissele SSA trigger assembly, and a U15 custom stock (thanks kali). This puts me a little over-budget after optics, but oh well ^.^
    My only other question is that I'm having trouble finding a stand alone buffer assembly, which is required with the U15, anyone know where I can find something like this? Anyone see any issues with this setup? http://californiarifles.com/

Thanks again for all the help
    Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2011, 04:53 PM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Welcome!

Using those criteria, I would consider the GDMR uppers from AA.

Comment

Call Bob at templar custom for a lower if not then loki is good to go. The PA uppers are not grendel they are LBC. Not really a big deal but if you're not going to be reloading then its technically less reliable.
      heres a review on my TC lower done by LRRPF52. I believe he was also 82nd. 2ND page
      Just picked this up today. Going to the range saturday. -TC cut rifled barrel 20" threaded -TC Upper -TC lower with kns anti walk pins -Jard 1.5 adjustable single stage trigger -14" TC fast rail -troy gas block -Magpul ACS with spikes T2 im using a mueller eraticator while i save up for a vortex

his website is crap but its getting improved soon
      for a trigger get a geissele ssa. I went jard and im sending it back. Nice trigger pull but the hammer could be engaged with the safety on....yea

Comment

The pistol buffer tube kit is what you are looking for to use that stock.

Comment

I use zombies as a colorful stand-in for any situation in which someone decides not to follow my KYFHO philosophy, be they authority oriented or otherwise.

Comment

Allocate $1500 or more for optics, and the rest for a blaster. Get a cut-rifled barrel if you want extreme accuracy. Fill in the rest.

Comment

Working...
            X