• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squatch
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2015

Barrel Bedding

Does anyone bed their barrels? If so what do you use? Ive heard everything from blue loc tite to red loc tite, to red permatex bearing and stud formula to red high temp rtv. Also do you guys "bed" your gas blocks to the barrel the same way?
  • wfa17332
    Bloodstained
    • May 2015

If the upper receiver doesn't provide a tight, wiggle free, seat for the barrel extension, I use LocTite 243. Everyone has their opinion on this subject, so I'll just say "it seems to help", even if the "help" is "all in my head".

Comment

• Squatch
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2015

Wfa- im out to build the most accuate build i can. Im pulling all stops on it. Im leaning towands doing it anyway just to play it safe

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I would never use red loc-tite as that would be impossible to remove the barrel from the upper receiver with out damaging it. If it is possible it is above my pay scale.

Comment

• Squatch
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2015

Montana theres a few threads ive seen on ar15 that they were removong them with dowels some how. Personallyim leaning towards blue

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

+1 Montana.

If the barrel is loose enough to need 'bedding' (glue) then it needs replacing.

Comment

• wheelguner
              Warrior
              • Oct 2011

Here is a segment of an article I have saved that I found when I first started researching the Grendel:

+

Hope this helps.

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Squatch View Post
                Montana theres a few threads ive seen on ar15 that they were removong them with dowels some how. Personallyim leaning towards blue
                I have removed many barrels bedded with blue loc-tite. No problem. Red loc-tite would be another story. I may be wrong but it takes heat to break down red loc-tite and usually very high heat which I wouldn't want to subject my upper receiver to. I have never tried red loc-tite since blue loc-tite has never been a problem for barrel removal and has been very successful for me. I have also read that green loc-tite is preferred over blue for this application. Green loc-tite works great for clamp on hand guards to prevent forward movement of the hand guard during recoil but I have never used it for barrel bedding.
                Last edited by montana; 10-05-2015, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Squatch
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
                  Here is a segment of an article I have saved that I found when I first started researching the Grendel:

They also have a tighter barrel extension fit because the Grendel’s heavier recoil “explores” all the loose spots, and the barrel will settle in a different position each time if given the room.
                  Wandering groups in well-worn test rifles also taught Alexander that he needed to bed the barrels and gas blocks. Under a microscope, the surface of anodized metal looks like a forest of microscopic Christmas trees. Over time, those Christmas trees lose their tops and the rifle’s groups open up. Alexander beds the barrels with 2440 Locktite, which fills in the gaps but allows the barrel to be removed with standard tools. The gas block is seldom a problem, but has bounced loose on a couple of rifles. Alexander doesn’t take any chances and beds both parts on all his rifles.
                  +

Hope this helps.
                  I got on loctites website and im currently considering 2422 thats the ultra high temp blue, it has a melting point of 650. If i can find something similar to 2440 but ultra high temp ill go with it

Comment

• am4966
                    Chieftain
                    • Jul 2014

LRRPF is a huge advocate of bedding barrel and gas block. He's a mod here and I personally respect his opinions or thought process on his building methods. Now don't get me wrong I respect everyone else's here too, bunch of great guys. Maybe he'll be along and pass on some knowledge on the subject.

I know when Im personally ready to build my upper I'll lap the upper and bed the barrel. I'll use either blue or the one between it and red "purple?"
                    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• wfa17332
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2015

LocTite 243 is "blue" (medium strength), oil resistant, somewhat expensive, and hard to find (Try an auto parts store or Amazon). If you ever want to remove the barrel from the upper, use a 1" dowel rod and hammer it out from the breach end (obviously). I've bedded three barrels with one of the "small" tube, and there should be enough for at least one more.

Comment

• Squatch
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                        LRRPF is a huge advocate of bedding barrel and gas block. He's a mod here and I personally respect his opinions or thought process on his building methods. Now don't get me wrong I respect everyone else's here too, bunch of great guys. Maybe he'll be along and pass on some knowledge on the subject.

I know when Im personally ready to build my upper I'll lap the upper and bed the barrel. I'll use either blue or the one between it and red "purple?"
                        If i remember right purple is low strength and green is wicking, but ill have to double check
                        check

Comment

Working...
                        X