• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Remington 700 short action in 6.5 Grendel

i have a short action 308 that I think I might spend some money on.....

Basically can it be done?
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

Yes it can. You will need a new bolt (PTG) and barrel. Probably change the magazine follower to 7.62x39. I had it done to a .223 and have no regrets. And because its a Remington 700 there are tons of after market things (Like a swing safety&Sako extractor) you can add to make it a rifle like none other on earth.

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Drift View Post
      Yes it can. You will need a new bolt (PTG) and barrel. Probably change the magazine follower to 7.62x39. I had it done to a .223 and have no regrets. And because its a Remington 700 there are tons of after market things (Like a swing safety&Sako extractor) you can add to make it a rifle like none other on earth.
      Ok. Good. May do it with an AI chassis or at least with bottom metal. What about mags? I have a Bell and Carlson stock that I can test fire with and single feed before I get the chassis.

Would you mind sharing who did yours? Surely I can expect 1/2 MOA or better??

Comment

• Drift
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

I don't know about your bottom metal. Wyatts Custom Outdoors modified .308 bottom metal to feed for a Grendel for me . Mine is a BDL lightweight hunter with barrel, bolt and bolt handle fluted. It only shoots .6 groups; but then again it only weighs (If I remember) 5 3/4 lbs.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

PTG will also sell you bottom metal that will work with AR Mags so can feed it that way.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

I have a shot out .270. I wonder how a long action 700 would work?
            NRA Lifer

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

If you do this, I'd love to see what velocities you could get with the 129gr ABLR and 127gr LRX .
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                If you do this, I'd love to see what velocities you could get with the 129gr ABLR and 127gr LRX .
                Just out of interest. Have you shot the 129gr?? What powder? I am shooting a 130 gr tomorrow. Which powder is better for the heavier pills? I have AA2520, CFE and IMR 8208. The 8208 would never work with any 123 gr pills out of my Grendel.
                I am also testing some 123, 124, and 125 from Precision Ballastics.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                  Just out of interest. Have you shot the 129gr?? What powder? I am shooting a 130 gr tomorrow. Which powder is better for the heavier pills? I have AA2520, CFE and IMR 8208. The 8208 would never work with any 123 gr pills out of my Grendel.
                  I am also testing some 123, 124, and 125 from Precision Ballastics.
                  My best result to date:
                  Hornady 129SST, 8208 - 25.9g, CCI-450, COL 2.260, Lapua Brass. Sub-MOA @ 100 & 200yds.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

I was able to get 2300fps with the 129gr and 2250fps (before seeing pressure signs) from the 127gr. Both with CFE from a 16" barrel. I was limited to mag length while I still had plenty of length to lands left. I imagine 8208 would be to fast for these. AA2520 may be worth a try especially for the LRX.

I think the 129gr loaded out beyond AR15 mag length restrictions would produce significant increases in velocity.
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X