• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trapper
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Another Bolt gun Grendel Build

I have a 6.5 Grendel in my AR15 from Alexander arms and love the way the cartridge shoots and the potential of the caliber as a varmint threw deer cartridge. What's not to like about a caliber that shoots from an AR15 that can hold it's own with a .308 Winchester. Light bulb goes off and I get with Jim from Apache Gun Works and order a barrel for a Savage large shank and found a donor rifle in a Savage Model 11 in S/S. I ordered a Tacticool stock in black, from Boyd's Gunstock and Had the action worked and the stock work done where I had my Marine Corps Emblem inletted into the stock to personalize my rifle. The action, and stock work was done by Shooters Den in Watkinsville, Ga. . The rifle came together with very little work having to be done to fit the stock. Has a steel 20 moa mount and for now a Weaver 4X14 scope. Will break it in as the weather allows and add a better scope as finances allow. Thought you guys might like to see the stock inletting, and how it personalizes the rifle.[IMG]
    [/IMG]

• Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

Dang that is a nice setup let us know how it shoots!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Nice looking rifle. Looks like a fun project that came out great. Ive never seen inletting like that before, great idea. Thanks for showing it.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Just curious what barrel did you use (brand, chamber reamer "Grendel/264 LBC? And twist?). Looks great I bet it will shoot great.

Comment

• Trapper
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

Montana, that you for the compliments.
          Vascar2, Jim @ Apache and I had a few conversations about barrel length, twist and the reamer he would use. We decided on a 24" Green Mountain blank bored to Grendel specs in a 1/9 twist. Cost for the barrel was $225. I had read about Jim's work on this forum and on the Savage Shooters forum so, with a phone call from me and a few emails, I found him to be the kind of guy I wanted to do business with. He already had cut a 6BR barrel for me before and the next one will be a.20 Practical for an AR 15. Great work, fit and finish were outstanding and the price was more than fair.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Nice fire stick, and that EGA is huge. Looks like you swiped it from the Sergeant Major's plaque collection! Very cool touch for your own rifle.

The Savage Grendel is a nice shooter for sure. BjornF16's is scary accurate, even with a lighter profile barrel. He used a Pac-Nor IIRC.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X