6.5 Grendel on Tikka SS action FINISHED :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toycrusher
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2018

6.5 Grendel on Tikka SS action FINISHED :-)

So I had this tikka 223 SS action that I had pulled the barrel off of and I got a wild hair one day and thought it would be cool to build a grendel off of that action. I had the bolt face opened up for grendel. I ordered a Bug Hole match grade 6.5 barrel 1in 8 twist SS I had it finished at 20 in and threaded I installed a stainless linear comp. I used a MDT/LSS Chassis and a LUTH AR MB3 butt stock on it with a ergo overmold grip. The trigger is set at a whopping 1lb and i got all the take up out of it. You can touch the trigger when you think I am going to pull it well it already went bang. I got the barrel broke in according to the manufacture recommendations and it is shooting groups in the .3/.4 range with factory hornady 123 gr ammo. I may have over scoped it but I put a Zeiss 5X25-50 scope on it. Its been working great I shot a coyote last night out the back door down in the field at 369 yards DRT. Ive shot it to 600 yards and it is well under MOA if I do my part. Its one of those guns where if I could shoot better it would be a lot more accurate. Dont have the eyes I used too...

If I can figure out how to post pics they are coming...
  • 65Whelen
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Sounds awesome, but there's an unofficial rule with the Horde. If there's no pictures it didn't happen. Just kidding but we do like the pics. Welcome to the Horde.

Comment

• peak98
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Really like my Tikkas and my CZ 527 from before CZ finally got off their butts and chambered for the Grendel.

A Tikka Grendel has to be sweet.

Comment

• rookie7
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

@Toycrusher - what mags are you using and any feed problems since the Tikka is a long action?

Comment

• PVBoom
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

That sounds like a great project, on an awesome action.

I bought a used Tikka T3 223 CTR. I found Mountain Tactical https://tikkaperformance.com/product...ikka-t3-t3x-2/
            They offer a bunch of upgrades for the T3, to upgrade some of the skimpy stuff on the originals (plastic bolt shroud, aluminum recoil lug), I also got their 20 MOA rail and a replacement bolt handle. I see they were also offering 6.5/.264 Grendel barrels, but those might have been a one time run. I remember seeing a bunch of other replacement barrels they offered a few years ago.

I would think he is limited to AICS mags, with that chassis.

It looks like a great chassis choice and you can use whatever AR stock or grip (mostly, might have to trim beavertail) you want.

OTOH, you are getting into the range of some sweet GRS stocks

Brownells offers Free Shipping over $49 through July on all products including ammunition, firearms, reloading, handgun and rifle parts, AR15 supplies, gun cleaning products, and more!

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod118941.aspxgrs-bifrost-brown-chassis.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 02-02-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• PVBoom
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Ouch. Thanks for the review.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                  Ouch. Thanks for the review.
                  In all fairness, the laminated wood version should be much stiffer and the Gen 2 version more to your liking!

Comment

Working...
                  X